Re: Formation of Gnome-user-foundation

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 04:01:22PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2005-03-14 at 13:11, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>
> >     "If you have a high level of income, then your bugs matters"
> >     "If you are part of our club, then your bugs matters"
>
> IMHO Its just a variant on the bounties. If Novell can do bounties why
> can't 50 users get together and issue a bounty on a matter that annoys
> them. Is it any different to a business saying to Red Hat or Novell "We
> need XYZ then we could do 5000 desktops."

  I think there was an agreement on "no more bounties", je are just
finishing to ventilate the existing bounty fund, but not accept new
bounties funding.

> I agree it shouldn't control development or dictate to volunteers what
> feature to add but providing it is seperated clearly (as with any other
> user group) then is there a problem ?

  To me the problem was "pay 25$ and be part of our powerful club" which
looks to me the last thing to do to try to grow GNOME in new areas like
Africa and Asia. More bugzilla triaging is good, doing more analysis
on user input is good, generating upfront user segregation on income is
really bad.

Daniel