Re: Looking for women? - Something wrong with the numbers?

<quote who="Alan Cox">

> On Maw, 2005-03-08 at 19:09, Rob Adams wrote:
> > Of course, I see no reason why women can't be hackers.  I don't see
> > anything in the culture that should keep women out.  In fact, from what
> > I can tell, most IT organizations and schools bend over backwards to try
> > to get women.
>
> I see things that keep groups of people out. Not just women either. The
> "in your face" approach of many free software projects may well fit
> American males and the like but it doesn't seem to fit Asian culture or
> perhaps western female culture.

And this affects the best and least American of us, at times. I recall one
prominent developer (not necessarily of GNOME) talking about rather violent
acts with a butter knife on another list. *cough* :-)

- Jeff

--
gnome.conf.au 2005: April 19th            http://live.gnome.org/Canberra2005

    "I can't imagine anyone telling Emma Bunton to shut up. It would be
                        rather like slapping Bambi."