Re: GNOME Foundation Elections - Preliminary results
- From: James Henstridge <james jamesh id au>
- To: Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com>
- Cc: David Neary <dneary free fr>, Vincent Untz <vuntz gnome org>, foundation-list gnome org, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com>
- Subject: Re: GNOME Foundation Elections - Preliminary results
- Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:04:50 +0800
Owen Taylor wrote:
>Referrers like these are about half of the 6000 hits on / today.
>I don't understand the logic here ... it's not really intense enough
>to be DDOS, but why would you make requests on a site just to distort
>stats and stuff spam URLs into the referrer? (Some sort of attempt to
>influence google ad-sense?)
That is exactly the reason. Many people run log analysis software that
outputs a web page. This software might linkify the referer report.
So if you spam the referer count, google might see links from the domain
hosting the log statistics to the site in question, altering the page rank.
] [Thread Prev