Re: Barcelona report

<quote who="Tim Ney, GNOME Foundation">

> GUADEC has been sustainable for six years and survived economic up and
> down cycles.  GUADEC planning is a good place for discussing next year's
> conference model.

... with emergency sponsorship from existing advisory board members,
inconsistent and badly communicated registration fee structures, and no
structured approach to bankrolling each conference through the profits of
the last [1]. I don't really regard that as a sustainable model.

- Jeff

[1] For the two years I was on the board, the initial delivery of financial
information was at least 9-12 months late, and the one time it scraped
through with more sponsorship than outgoings, that money was spent on other
items in the Foundation's budget.

--
OSCON 2005: August 1st-5th         http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/

     "It's all a blur of a bunch of people having battles on different
                 plants (sic)."- Mary Gardiner on Star Wars