Re: [guadec-list] Re: Barcelona report

<quote who="Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller">

> > At least one reason... there were a number of things that didn't work
> > well in Stuttgart that need to be fixed. We once again had too many
> > parallel sessions, too much stuff on the schedule, too many
> > unanticipated sessions that had to be added in the weeks before the
> > conference.
>
> What is the rationale to claim we had too many sessions at GUADEC in
> Stuttgart? I hear this repeated by some as an absolute truth, but I never
> seen anyone give any explanation for it.

It comes from the belief that GUADEC should be less about preaching, more
about participation. So the more talk sessions you have, the less BOF and
hacktime sessions you have.

> Also as far as I know there wasn't any non-userday tracks that where
> consistently lacking participants, rather the opposite.

Yes, they were very successful. We had an awesome line-up of talks! However,
the view David is putting forward is not based on whether that model can be
successful, it's whether we want to pursue that model at all... Is GUADEC
meant to be a bunch of talks, or is it meant to be a whole lotta discussion
and hacking?

- Jeff

--
GNOME Summit 2005: October 8th-10th         http://live.gnome.org/Boston2005

   "The Motif interface, with chunkier controls, felt more like a ghetto
                           blaster." - Liam Quin