Re: Free software business models (was: Evolution copyright assignment: Storm in a teacup)

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 17:26, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Don't judge Miguel because he decided to be cool.
>
> I don't think we're talking about the same things.  You're talking
> about a matter of style; I'm talking about the substance of one's
> actions.  By all means find ways to make free software more cool, if
> there's nothing fundamentally wrong about them.

I must agree with Richard here. Coolness does not have much to do with
ethics; ethics is a practical matter, as Richard realized early on.
Everyone is of course free to do what they will -- even more so if
software is free.

I would very much like to be a cool person instead of a boring, nagging
spoiler of parties. However, I don't want to be such a cool person with
the expense of my fundamental moral orientation towards individual and
social freedom.

At present, working on GNOME seems to be a way of having it both ways.

--
Juha Siltala
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/