Re: Copyright assignment

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 17:33, Vincent Untz wrote:

> I've a simple question about copyright assignment (to Novell, or to the
> GNOME Foundation, it doesn't matter for this question): will it be valid
> in all countries or is it just valid in the US?

As far as I know, for example the Finnish law (which applies to me)
doesn't recognize such thing as copyright assignment. Here the creator
of a piece of work has the copyright until 50 years (time varies
depending of type of work) has passed from his death.

However, the copyright owner may give additional rights to use, copy and
modify the piece of work to someone else. This however doesn't remove
the creator's own rights to do whatever he likes with the work.

And in normal employment cases the company (or such) paying for someone
to do the work gets the copyright.

I'm not a lawyer, so my mileage may vary. :)