Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

On Gwe, 2003-09-12 at 11:50, Glynn Foster wrote:
> With each 'voting card' that gets sent to a foundation member, there is
> a key, a simple random string, that we use for authentication. This key
> is kept private to the foundation member and elections committee. When
> the time comes for the results to be made public, the elections
> committee will substitute any name/email information with the key.
> Members can check their vote based on their own private key.

This requires one other check. There must be oversight of the number of
keys generated, and the number of keys in the results. That is we must
be able to see that nobody fabricated voters.

One easy way to do this is to embed a count into the string (while
taking care to issue the numbers in random order not say
alphabetically!)

You can then issue    0001[randombits]  0002[randombits] ....