Re: Gnome foundation & copyright assesment

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 13:20, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> Dear Gnome members,
>
> I am a long time GNU/Linux user and lover. My projects involve for example
> http://www.pgadmin.org, which is based on wxWindows.
>
> For information, I am enquiring about the advantages of assigning copyright to
> a Foundation. The advantages of creating a Foundation are obvious!
>
> I read on http://www.wxwindows.org/sf/index.htm that:
>
> "Other examples of projects requiring copyright assignment include Python,
> OpenOffice, GNOME and all Free Software Foundation projects, such as GNU
> Enterprise and GCC."

That's not actually true. GNOME doesn't require copyright assignment,
contributors keep the copyright on their code. I'm not even sure if the
mechanism exists :-)

> 1) Could you point out to me any legal document whereby a contributor donates
> the ownership of his work to the Foundation.
>
> 2) Is such a transfer of ownership always required in the case of contribution
> to the Gnome Project?
>
> 3) Do you ask the contributor to bear all risks in case of transfer?
>
> 4) Where can I find the list of the Foundation members?

http://foundation.gnome.org/membership/members.html should have them,
but doesn't. For now,
http://foundation.gnome.org/elections/2003/voters.html is probably the
best place to look.