Re: RealMedia used for GUADEC live transmissions?

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 12:03:34AM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > Is there an URL to download the evil realmedia files ?
>
>     soon [tm]
>
> The best way to make these files available for someone to convert them
> is to put them in an unadvertised place and tell the person who will
> convert them.  That way you can avoid sending a message to the public
> legitimizing use of RealPlayer.
>
> However, I'm told that the sound quality that can be extracted from a
> RealPlayer file is not as good as a raw recording.  Some of the data
> has already been lost.  So if raw recordings exist, using them would
> give better results.  If they don't exist, converting the RealPlayer
> files is all we can do.
>
> Turning to the future, we should look at handling this next year.  At
> the FSF we have experience webcasting and releasing recordings in formats
> that are supported by free software.  Can we arrange to get involved
> next year and make sure this is done right?

Anyone can get involved in GUADEC.  You need to submit a proposal to
provide webcasting and recordings of the conference and speakers.
Then it will be taken in to consideration by the GUADEC planning
committee.  Obviously the GUADEC planning committee and the board has
the final say on any proposals for GUADEC.

Eric Baudais