RE: RealMedia used for GUADEC live transmissions?

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 13:25, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:
> > From: Rui Miguel Seabra [mailto:rms 1407 org]
> > On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 04:03, Eric Baudais wrote:
> > > GNOME and the foundation is not looking for the easiest or simplest
> > > solution, but for the best solution.  Removing the videos is not the
> > > best solution.  Converting the videos to an open format and
> > providing
> > > a decent stable viewer is the best solution.  I would hope by
> > > suggesting using another video format you are not just complaining,
> > > but willing to help resolve this issue you have brought up.
> >
> > That is utter crap. How can the "best solution" be something that is
> > contradictory to the GNOME spirit?
>
> It's called an opinion.

Opinions have validity when there's reasoning behind them. An opinion
that takes in account only one vector when defining "best" does not
stand ground on the longer term.

If one reads my email attentively, instead of just shutting both eyes to
reality, one can see that there are alternative solutions that work, but
should be used with caution (as I expressed, the source that generated
the binary that makes (de/en)coding must be preserved until the format
is fully defined and then properly encoded).

Rui

+ So let's do it...?