Re: Mailing list cleanup proposal

On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 04:53, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > It's mostly a cleanup of deprecated lists, and getting descriptions right.
> > Jonathan asked what would happen to archives... About half of the deprecated
> > lists are just shells, so their archives would be removed, the rest would be
> > shifted with any list moves.
>
> Oh, Jonathan also suggested that in future, we ought to avoid both gnome-*
> and *-list. They're kinda redundant. :-)

Well, gnome-* is redundant, but list isn't, unless you're looking at all
the headers.  There are lots of email addresses @gnome.org, some go to
lists of people, and some go to just one person.  If we're going to go
around messing with all this, let's have a good plan.  Here's what I
come up with quickly.

Email addresses @gnome.org should not contain gnome- at the beginning of
their name.
Email addresses intended for discussions (such as the current
'desktop-devel-list' and the 'gnome-list') should have -list appended to
their name.
Email addresses intended to reach a group of folks, but not necessarily
for discussions (like the current 'release-team' and
'membership-committee'[1]) should have -team appended to their name.
Email addresses that go to a single individual (such as the current
'director') should not have anything appended to their name.

I think that covers what we're using @gnome.org emails for.  Thoughts?
	Greg

--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com>