Re: 11 Questions to answer

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:04:03PM -0500, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 13:58, Jim Gettys hp com wrote:
>
> > [...] The details of the
> > consortium agreement inadvertently "froze out" individuals who wanted to
> > contribute not having affiliation with a member company, however.
>
> Interesting, I didn't know that.  The W3C has a similar model but
> individuals can contribute by being "invited experts", as well as
> by public mailing lists and ddresses to send comments, and we do get
> quite a bit of non-member contributions.

  Yes Liam, but that level can't compare to something like GNOME
where anybody which wishes to contribute basically becomes a member.
I think those organizations were all targetting very different
"contributor", large organizations like Sun have been working on
GNOME but in a majority independant contributors (sometimes paid by
companies but acting as individual still) have been the bulk of the
project workforce. Actually as we stabilize the platform it's interesting
to see the shift that happen toward large organization helping, things like
documentation, accessibility, etc. can tap in their existing knowledge
on those issues which were not easilly handled by the original pool of
individual. IMHO depending on what you want to build you have to adapt
the organization structure to the bodies which actually can make it
succeed, for code individuals rule, this can be quite different for
producing documentation, or standards...
  Definitely an interesting topic,

Daniel