Re: Draining the Swamp: A Technical User's Experience

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 09:37:21PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> What they are skilled at using is surely the whole GNU/Linux operating
> system, not Linux the kernel by itself.  So would you please call them
> "skilled GNU/Linux users"?

  I object this change, the name of the OS is widely recognized as Linux,
the distinction in naming of this OS is not importance to GNOME,
heck GNOME is as much as possible OS/Platform agnostic.

  I also object you - as the representative of the FSF - to restart
that debate here, I don't think starting a battle on this contention
point between the FSF and a significant part of the GNOME project is
a good idea for both project relationship. That was discussed for nearly
hour between the Board and a representative of the FSF in Sevilla one
month ago. Apparently this was agreed upon, and the Board as a whole
expressed it was not a productive use of our time. I suggest you go
and talk personally with that representative.

  Thanks for not making us loose time, and avoid raising a battle
which would likely prove detrimental to both FSF and GNOME.

Daniel