Re: [Usability] Re: Decision: instant apply window buttons

If being different from Windows in little details like not having close
buttons on dialog frames and not placing close next to maximize is so
deleterious to Windows users, then a major difference like instant-apply
preferences should be avoided no matter the cost.

If the majority of GNOME hackers and others who might be influential in its
design believe that GNOME should seek so much emulation of Windows as
even the known errors in window framing, then I would like to know now.

The last complete X environment I used before GNOME was CDE and I see no
reason to continue to work on what will ultimately be an interface downgrade.

So there you have part of a simple resolution - maybe more, but I can't speak
for others:
  Tell me you all want Windows, and I'm gone.

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:52:26PM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Gregory Merchan <merchan baton phys lsu edu> writes:
> > I've also seen a bug in some sawfish themes that treats all
> > WM_TRANSIENT_FOR windows as dialogs
>
> This is necessary to recognize dialogs from tons of older apps.

I meant with regard to the buttons on the window frame.

Cheers,
Greg Merchan