Re: Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 23 January 2001

Michael Meeks <michael ximian com> writes:
> >    => Bonobo/Gnome VFS/Gnome print are the 3 main libraries which
> >       are the challenges to get the schedule
>
> 	I'm sorry, I don't want to nit pick but I don't understand the
> sentence: 'which are the challenges to get the schedule'.
>
> 	If the thinking was that Bonobo et. al are on the critical path,
> as far as I can see, I don't believe this is the case, at least for Bonobo
> that is.

My recollection is that this was supposed to be a list of libraries
new in 1.4 that still have some hacking going on and we weren't sure
of the status. Maciej and I were there to say that GConf and OAF are
officially frozen.

As Maciej said in his timetable proposal on gnome-hackers, one of the
outstanding issues is to clear the timetable with the module
maintainers, so gnome-vfs, bonobo, and gnome-print are three
maintainers we need agreement from.

> >       + bonobo is supposed to be frozen
>
> 	This is not quite correct. While we have a public API / bin compat
> freeze commitment it covers only parts of bonobo ( mainly those parts used
> by Nautilus ).
>
> 	The rest of Bonobo should not be supposed to be frozen. We are
> still busily buffing it up, and will be extending the commitment to cover
> other APIs, as and when we are happy with them, in order to meet the same
> deadlines as everyone else for Gnome 1.4.

I am not sure sure if you are saying all of Bonobo can meet the
timetable, or are you saying only part of Bonobo can meet the
timetable; if the latter, does this mean the timetable must be
revised?

We need a bin/source compat Bonobo for the duration of the 1.4.x
series, so that release can't happen until the entirety of Bonobo is
in freeze, I would guess, though the 1.4 team makes the call here.

Havoc