Final list of candidates for the GNOME Foundation elections

Dear GNOME Foundation membership,

Below you will find a list of candidates who are running for the GNOME
Foundation Board of Directors.  A short summary statement from each
candidate and a link to their full candidacy announcement is provided
to help you learn more about them.  We encourage all voters to read
the full candidacy statements and related discussions on
foundation-list gnome org
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/).

When deciding who you should vote for, please carefully consider the
various tasks the Board of Directors must perform.  This overview
(http://foundation.gnome.org/overview.html) may be helpful.  Keep in
mind that the board will make a number of important decisions and will
also have to perform many tasks which require a significant amount of
time and effort and the ability to work and communicate with other
people, companies, and the media.  The board of directors will represent
GNOME to companies and the world in a very real way.  It is a good idea
to strive for a well-balanced board consisting of people with various
backgrounds, skills, and perspectives.

Additional election details can be found at the end of this message and
on http://foundation.gnome.org (where you can also find this document).

If you have any questions, please send them to either
foundation-list gnome org or to us at elections gnome org

The elections committee.

CANDIDATES FOR THE GNOME FOUNDATION BOARD OF DIRECTORS

1. MARTIN BAULIG.  "I'm a 24 years old student and working for SuSE on
GNOME.  * Gnome-libs 2.0 - it is very important to be attractive to
developers of other Free Software, to have well-designed,
well-documented APIs which are a pleasure to use.  * GNOME is official
part of the GNU Project and it becomes more and more important to know
where we're coming from and to stick to our roots.  * Doing Talks and
Shows in Germany."  Affiliated with SuSE.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00017.html.

2. CHEMA CELORIO.  "I have been doing unpaid work for GNOME on a daily
basis for the last year. Mainly in gedit and gnome-print.  And I LOVE IT
! I have developed very good personal relationships with different
members of the GNOME community.   I want GNOME to remain a community
effort, a fun project to work on and a project that has healthy
relationships with the companies it interacts with. I want GNOME to
continue being widely open to new contributors."  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00006.html.

3. KENNETH CHRISTIANSEN.  "I will work on making Gnome work better with
internationalization, so that people in non-english speaking countries
can start using Gnome for real. This requires a lot of work, and
everyone in the Gnome community will have to settle on some common
guidelines for dealing with this. Due to my long involvement in Gnome
Translation Project I have quite some idea of how we can do this, and is
personally interested in working hard for archieving this.  No corporate
affiliations!"  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00015.html.

4. RHETT CREIGHTON.  "I am a Jr. undergrad student at MIT, and I'd like
to see Gnome succeed, like all of you.  If I win, I don't promise to do
a better job than most of you could do, but I do promise to do it while
eating a truckload of bananas.  Really, I want to use the position to
impress chicks, I mean, help guide the direction of Gnome toward what I
think will make it the ideal computing platform.".  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00034.html.

5. BART DECREM.  "As the Foundation's coordinator, I have helped build a
structure that maintains the power in GNOME with the hackers while
providing ways for corporate partners to have their voice heard.  I see
my role as a facilitator who ensures that the foundation will function
in an open and effective manner, and to help bring corporate partners on
board who will bring GNOME to many millions of new users without
violating our principles."  Affiliated with Eazel.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00004.html.

6. MIGUEL DE ICAZA. Co-founder of the GNOME project; one of the
principal contributors to gnome-libs, Bonobo, and Gnumeric, among many
other modules; currently serves on the board of directors of the Free
Software Foundation; pushed to create both the interim Steering
Committee and the GNOME Foundation: sees his role in the foundation as
"to continue doing the same work I have been doing for free software
and GNOME in the future, with the backup of the Foundation."
Affiliated with Helix Code.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00025.html.

7. CHRISTOPHER GABRIEL.  "I'm a 22 years old fellow born in Italy.  *
Completely dedicated to free software, following GNOME since some times
in the first few months.  * No affiliation with any company making money
from GNOME.  * Official maintainer of GNU packages.  * Largely
responsible for much of the free software grass-roots community effort
in Italy. Having me on the board, you will have someone who will remind
other board members of the importance of things."  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00010.html.

8. JUANTOMAS GARCIA. Spent last three years promoting GNU/Linux and
free software in Spain, to companies and the Spanish government, among
others: "GNOME needs more than code, it needs lots of input and work
on and over it... The board needs to have a real criticism from the
inside that's brave enough to point out whatever is wrong with
GNOME... I'm Spanish and European (and very proud of it) and Europe
needs more GNOME action indeed." Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00018.html.

9. JIM GETTYS. Co-wrote X Window System, upon which GNOME is built;
currently pushing Linux and X on handhelds.  Experience with X
Consortium, W3C, IETF. Worked on the GNOME Foundation announcement and
startup this summer: "In short, I'd really like to see open source
desktops succeed.  Interoperability is a key to this, and applications
(both open source and commercial) are another.  We MUST avoid the GUI
wars that crippled UNIX desktops in the 1980's to change the world."
Affiliated with Compaq.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00026.html.

10. BERTRAND GUIHENEUF.  "I am CEO of Henzai, Paris, a company dedicated
to making Gnome the standard GUI for small Internet Appliances. I am
co-maintainer of gnome-objc but was more known to have started
Evolution, in particular the camel library. My job at Henzai gives me
particular skills for project managment.  Once on the board I want to
push the creation of the European foundation.  I also plan to lobby for
a complete cross-platform Gnome."  Affiliated with Henzai.  Full
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00009.html.

11. THOMPSON HAYNER.  "I am an independent thinker.  I make my living
charging high fees to companies to run web-based free software for them
(primarily Latin American hospitals).  I invest half my money primarily
in underprized fiber optic companies, give myself an allowance of
$64,000 a year, and give the rest to various charities, and do Random
Acts of Kindness (for example, recently hired an attorney to help a
Vietnamenese girl I barely know fight to bring her brother and sister
over)."  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00023.html.

12. JOHN HEARD.  "jheard eng sun com  * Initiated and manage the Sun
GNOME Project.  * Initiated and manage the OpenOffice.org initiative and
making it a fully integrated part of the GNOME Office suite.  * Working
to establish the GNOME Accessibility project. * Participant in the
establishment of the GNOME Foundation on behalf of the Sun GNOME team,
working closely with quite a few GNOME members.  * A 14+ year open
systems "bigot" in Sun (with T-shirts to prove it :-))."  Affiliated
with Sun Microsystems.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00031.html.

13. JAMES HENSTRIDGE.  "I am from Australia and have been hacking on
GNOME since 1998.  I have worked on various parts of GNOME ranging from
some of the base libraries used by many applications to language
bindings (python) to applications (dia).  I hope to represent these
views on the foundation board.  I am a member of the current GNOME
Steering Committee. I am not currently employed by any GNOME company at
present -- I am a student finishing off my honours year."  Full
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00007.html.

14. KEVIN KNERR.  "Is a GNOME user and contributor (AquaX, sawfish
lisplets, etc.)  * has nearly 25 years experience w/ computing
(programming, system administration, tech support, data processing)  *
is experienced in the administrative tasks the Board will perform  * is
committed to GNOME and Free Software, and wishes to see GNOME flourish
in the midst of commercial software   * has no corporate affiliation
with GNOME (employed in tech support for an ISP that won't support
Linux)."  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00012.html.

15. TUOMAS KUOSMANEN.  "I have been involved in the GNOME community from
the very beginning, working on the user interface. I have very big
interest in making the GNOME friendly and easy for both new and
experienced users. This is not easy, but I still want to offer my help
and try my best. I have good relationships towards others and I try to
live in peace with different kinds of people. They say I have good
patience." Affiliated with Helix Code.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00028.html.

16. GEORGE LEBL.  "I am George (Jiri in Czech) Lebl.  I am a long time
GNOME developer, and maintainer of gnome-core, gnome-applets, pong, gob,
grapevine, dr-genius, and have hacked on many other things including
gnome-libs.  I'm an undergraduate at SDSU trying to finish a CS and a
Math degree, and have a part time position at Eazel.  I'm also a half
member of the interim GNOME steering comittee.  cHickeN ChIckeN ChIckeN
ChIckeN ChIckeN cHicKeN ChickEn ChickEn ChickEn ChicKEn."  Affiliated
with Eazel.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00002.html.

17. ELLIOTT LEE.  "You, the people who have made GNOME happen, deserve
the best possible help in getting GNOME where you want it to go. Using
my knowledge of software development and project coordination, my goal
will be to help you out with all the distractions, problems, and boring
work that GNOME and its foundation need doing, so that you can focus on
having fun contributing."  Affiliated with Red Hat.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00032.html.

18. RAPH LEVIEN.  "I am Raph Levien, author of Libart and current
maintainer of Ghostscript. I've been involved in Gnome since the
beginning, particularly in areas of 2D graphics and imaging. I do
consulting through my company, artofcode LLC, including work for Eazel,
and commercial licensing of Ghostscript, but consider myself a strong
independent voice against corporate interests. I did not invent the
Internet, but did take the initiative in developing it to its current
degenerated state."  Affiliated with Eazel.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00030.html.

19. KJARTAN MARAAS.  "My name is Kjartan Maraas and I have been involved
with the GNOME project since late 1997. I'm Norwegian and translations
was what got me tangled up in this project. Since march this year I have
been a member of the steering committee as coordinator of GNOME's
internationalization project, and this area is what I'd spend my time
working on improving if I were to be elected for the board."  Full
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00027.html.

20. MICHAEL MEEKS.  "Having enjoyed working with many Gnome
contributors, I would be delighted to represent their interests on the
board.  * Soon Bonobo ( which I help maintain ) will be everywhere and
vital to the Gnome release schedule, as well as to everyone building on
it. * I have loved presenting the ethics of free software and selling
the Gnome vision to many different groups of people at various
conferences.  * I will push what is best for Gnome, over HelixCode."
Affiliated with Helix Code.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00019.html.

21. DAN MUETH.  "I am the GNOME Documentation Project coordinator and a
steering committee member.  I have a strong personal interest in seeing
GNOME succeed and providing users with a powerful, easy-to-use free
desktop.  As a boardmember I will: (1)Ensure GNOME leverages the
contributions of individuals and corporations to produce the best
desktop possible. (2)Identify and address GNOME's weaknesses. (3)Improve
communication with other projects, corporations, and the public.  After
finishing my physics PhD I will work at Eazel."  Affiliated with Eazel.
Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00016.html.

22. ESKIL HEYN OLSEN.  "I'm Eskil, one of the two gnome-pilot
maintainers (meaning I've been hacking gnome since June 1998), Being
snatched up by Eazel, I moved from Denmark to USA, and therefore now
hack Nautilus related  stuff fulltime. Other merits must speak for
themselves."  Affiliated with Eazel.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00013.html.

23. HAVOC PENNINGTON.  "My goal as a GNOME hacker is to make free OS's a
viable alternative for all users. At Red Hat Labs our job is to make
sure the Linux development platform facilitates that. On the board, I'd
like to work on infrastructure to make the project run more smoothly:
bug tracking, roadmaps, task lists, communication between maintainers. I
want to see GNOME get bigger, better, and more fun, always remaining
focused on technical excellence."  Affiliated with Red Hat.  Full
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00008.html.

24. ETTORE PERAZZOLI.  "Who: Hacker, Project Manager for Evolution.
Other major contributions: gnome-libs, Bonobo, gnome-vfs, Nautilus.
Contributor since pre-1.0.  * Program: Make GNOME a successful standard
without betraying the original ideals.  Convey energy from all the
various parties involved, making sure the commercial needs of the
companies involved don't cripple the technical qualities.  Pay attention
to the needs of hackers, to make sure the fun factor isn't lost.  Value
volunteer contributions.  Make GNOME a success outside the US."
Affiliated with Helix Code.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00021.html.

25. BRUCE PERENS.  "Please read http://www.perens.com/Bio.html and other
material at www.Perens.com to learn who I am and how I have helped Free
Software since 1987 and Unix since 1981.  The board should leave GNOME's
technical direction to the developers.  As a GNOME Foundation director,
I plan to concentrate on: Soliciting for government and corporate grants
to fund Free Software development, _especially_documentation_.  Building
relationships between business and Free Software.  Public Relations and
Publicity.  Getting people to release more code!"  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00001.html.

26. LESLIE PROCTOR.  "I oversaw PR for the GNOME launch in 1999.  My
efforts resulted in NY Times, Wired, Newsweek, etc. articles. I've
conducted media relations for GNOME at subsequent conferences and
ongoing, as needed. I coordinated the FSF/GNOME booths at every
LinuxWorld Expo, among others  - on a shoestring budget.  I'm a senior
resource executive at Alexander Ogilvy PR, a top-tier agency.  I offer
strategic direction to account teams across three different agencies.  I
can bring PR, marketing and conferences/events expertise."  Full
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00035.html.

27. FEDERICO MENA QUINTERO. Co-founder of the GNOME project;
maintained the GIMP, split off GTK+ from the GIMP for use in other
applications (including GNOME); wrote large portions of the GNOME
libraries (including the GNOME Canvas), the original GNOME Panel,
gnomecal, GMC; currently maintain parts of gnome-libs, gdk-pixbuf,
EOG, the GNOME Programming Guidelines, and the Evolution calendar; "I
have given several GNOME-related talks at local and international
conferences."; "I am neurotic about software and documentation
quality." Affiliated with Helix Code.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00022.html.

28. ARIEL RIOS. Currently maintain gnome-guile, guile-gtk, galway,
glibwwww, gnumeric guile plugin; has given numerous speeches
advocating GNOME and Free Software in Canada, USA, and Mexico: "I am
from Mexico so I can represent the Hispanoamerican region... I do not
work for any corporation and I wish to represent no other interests
besides GNOME and those of Free Software.  I do believe in freedom and
equality among all of the members of the GNOME community." Full
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00024.html.

29. ARLO ROSE.  "I'm the Human Interface lead for the Nautilus project,
and am in the process of forming a GNOME HI group that will raise
community and developer awareness of usability and visual issues with
GNOME projects.  I'd like to have a seat on the board so I can
strengthen awareness for good human interface design, raise the
standards for the GNOME desktop look and feel, and act as the voice for
usability issues in our community." Affiliated with Eazel.  Full
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00029.html.

30. JOE SHAW.  "I have been involved in the GNOME community from the
start, contributing to several modules. I'm the maintainer of Achtung
and author of Helix's installer and updater. I'm outspoken against
corporate dominance of the foundation, but know they need to be
well-represented. I feel that the board needs a good hacker/non-hacker
mix. GNOME needs to become more aggressive with its conference/show
policies and GNOME 2.0 development needs to take hold now."  Affiliated
with Helix Code.  Full statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00011.html.

31. MACIEJ STACHOWIAK.  "While I have hacked on many free software
projects (most notably Nautilus, see http://advogato.org/person/mjs for
others), I think the strongest qualifications I have are non-technical.
First, I have a talent for making processes more transparent, as with my
work on GNOME 1.4 coordiation. Second, I am good at communicating both
inside and outside the project.  Finally, I believe in free software,
openness and honesty, and I'm willing to stand up to anyone for these
beliefs."  Affiliated with Eazel.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00003.html.

32. OWEN TAYLOR.  "As co-maintainer of GTK+ and the designer of Pango, I
think I'm in a good position to handle coordination of GNOME with these
important core technologies. I also have a strong interest in language
bindings and component technology, as represented by the CORBA::ORBit
Perl bindings for CORBA. If I am elected to the board, I will continue
to push GNOME in the areas of internationalization and an easy-to-use
development platform."  Affiliated with Red Hat.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00005.html.

33. DANIEL VEILLARD.  "I am French, a long time Gnomer and Linux addict,
the maintainer of libxml and rpmfind. I work for W3C and I am used to
non-profit organizations and the negociations needed to get a group to
reach consensus.  I will focuse on the reuse of standards,
internationalization and keeping trust relationship at an individual
level. I think those are needed to keep hacking on gnome fun and getting
acceptance in new communities."  Affiliated with W3C.  Full candidacy
statement at
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-announce/2000-October/msg00020.html.

ADDITIONAL ELECTION-RELATED INFORMATION
---------------------------------------
Anyone who's contributed to GNOME (beyond just being a user or
occasional bug-filer) may participate in the elections.  To register to
vote, send e-mail to  membership gnome org   with your name, email
address, and a short list of how you contributed to GNOME. [eg: Havoc
Pennington <hp no_spam redhat com> (GConf, GTK+, gnome-libs, odd
jobs)].  The deadline to register to vote is Monday, October 30.

Ballots will be sent out via e-mail to everyone who's registered to
vote on Wednesday, November 1, to the address provided with
registration.  If you need to change the address to which you want
your ballot sent, please contact elections gnome org ASAP.  People
will vote by returning the ballot via e-mail.  A public archive of the
ballot returns will be available after the elections end on November
8.

Also, keep in mind that there is a 4-person maximum on the number of
people affiliated with any one company that can be on the board: if more
than 4 persons from one company get elected, only the top 4 vote getters
will get on.  You will be able to vote for up to 11 candidates of your
choice, with no restrictions, except that you cannot vote more than once
for the same candidate.

Additional election-related materials are available at
http://foundation.gnome.org.

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39 columbia edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999