Re: Hackers, should we elect them ?

Hi,
I think we should consider the first year of the GNOME Foundation as a
test
year in many ways. During this first year we will gather information and
experience
 on how the GF should and will work, exactly what it's tasks will be and
wether the organization and mandate choosen for it needs to be modified.
For instance I wouldn't be suprised that if the situation arises where
the
board ends up needing to make a lot of technical decisions, one would
choose
to set up a technical subcommity for such issues instead of leaving it
to the
GF board.

Personally when assembling my list I am trying to balance two factors,
making sure the majority of the board consists of people with a long
history of GNOME support and contributions is one factor. The other is
making
sure there are people on the board which can take care of the primary
task of
the board(IMHO) namely promote GNOME to the mainstream press and society
in
general and gather even wider commitments from the computing industry or
other
important Free Software projects.

 Of course the best candidates in that regard are people I think can
fill both those qualifications, examples being people like Miguel de
Icaza
and Martin Baulig.(Ok, couldn't help but doing a blatant plug there :)

Christian