Re: Comment on the election rules

Hi Christian,

You make a good point, but the problem with requiring people to vote for
11 candidates is that maybe you don't know 11 people, or only have a
strong opinion about 6 people.  If we change the rules as you suggest,
then people might randomly select people to vote for, and we might end
up having to disqualify a bunch of votes because they didn't select 11
candidates, which would suck.

I think we have three safeguards against the problem you identify:
1- no more than 4 board members can be affiliated with any one company -
so there's an absolute limit on the kind of manipulation that can happen
2- only members of the GNOME Foundation can vote, so if a bunch of
Microsoft employees wanted to join, they probably wouldn't all get
accepted.  If, say, all of a sudden every single Eazel employee
registered to vote, than the membership committee would probably get
concerned and check in with someone over there to make sure that the
company wasn't trying to do something inappropriate.
3- the board can always be recalled by referendum.  If something
inappropriate were to happen, I'd be the first to launch a recall
referendum and change the voting rules.

So my tendency would be to leave the current rule in effect.  I trust
the GNOME community to elect the right group of people. If problems
arise, we can always fix them for the next elections.

Bart