Re: Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 28 November 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 08:45:23PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> >  - I probably would still be nervous about ext3 on general principle,
> > but if Alan says it is OK, I trust him.
>
> I have 180Gig of disk on ide raid with ext3.

  ditto,

> >  - If somebody has a recommendation for a SCSI raid controller that
> >    is reliable and trouble-free to configure with Linux, and not
> >    horribly expensive, finding the means to purchase it shouldn't
> >    be a problem.
>
> I can recommend several reliable ones but except for the older AMI Megaraid
> cards they are priced for 'enterprise customers'. Its not beyond the realm
> of possibility that a pair of 45Gig IBM ide disks (or 4x20 gig even more
> so) with an ide raid card will be both cheaper and faster than buying something
> like an ICP vortex or a DAC960.

  Hence my suggestion, 3Ware + Ide drives is cheaper than the price of
the equivalent of SCSI drive without raid nor controller, so it might be
a better investment.

Daniel

--
Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/