Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 21 November 2000

      Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 21 November 2000

    Havoc Pennington (chairing)
    Owen Taylor             
    Raph Levien             
    Dan Mueth               
    Daniel Veillard  (minutes)
    Jim Gettys              
    Bart Decrem             
    Federico Mena Quintero  
    Maciej Stachowiak       


    John Heard              

    Possible regrets from Daniel and Jim for next week


    Miguel de Icaza         


    We will have another meeting next week
  - EuroLinux petition, okay for Gnome Fundation to sponsor it
  - Officially inviting Debian to the Gnome Fundation
  - GNOME and Bonobo namespace registration at the OMG should proceed,
    George Lebl and Michael Meeks are co-maintainer unless they desists.
  - Advisory Board members must not be elected members of the Director Board
  - The Advisory board list will be public
  - The discussion when getting new members will not be made public to
    be able to process and verify that both parties agree beforehand.
  - We need a QA coordinator for the Gnome-1.4 release
  - The Gnome-1.4 release team is officialized
    + core: Maciej Stachowiak and Jacob Berkman
    + extra: Ian Peters and Jamin Gray
    + docs: Dan Mueth
    + i18n: Kjartan Maraas

Work Done:

  ACTION: John will work on the phone call teleconference details
       => Done

Work in progress:

  ACTION: Havoc and Bart to send mail to all the current representative
          asking the contact informations for the Advisory Board reps and
	  a possible alternate

  ACTION: Maciej to start the discussion on-line to get candidates for
          a QA coordinator for the Gnome-1.4 and Gnome-2.0 core coordinator

  ACTION: Dan Mueth to forward the proposal to Chris Dibona, Martin Baulig
          and Russell Steinthal being part of the membership committee

  ACTION: Havoc will build board gnome org alias for outside feedback


- Minutes from last week approved

- registering IDL namespaces with OMG in foundation's name,
  with Michael administering it

  + the Board seems to not have much more to says except finding
    who will administer the namespaces.
  + seems that we need some process to maintain the registry, one technical
    and one editor for the registry are needed
  + Master list should be in CVS

- advisory board; when will it meet, contacting them about
  moving forward, etc.

  + 2 annual f2f meeting + a mailing-list + 
  + elected members must not be elected members of the Director Board
  + list of AB reps maintained on CVS

  sounds a good idea to try to make the first f2f close to GUADEC II

- whether to publicize ongoing discussions with potential advisory
  board members

  Tempted to make that process open but would defeat the process of getting
  new people in.
  We will ask the company to release information to gnome-private approx
  one week in advance of the public announcement.

- discuss incorporation documents, if we have them?

  We don't have them yet

- release group: should we add PR or QA reps, who should they be if
  so, how is the board involved here

  The gnome QA manager from Sun may volunteer to take the position
  of the QA manager for Gnome 1.4 release.
  We really need a QA taskforce, this include checking bugzilla and
  bugging people until big bugs get fixed.

  Seems we need a PR release coordinator too. It seems that PR scheduling
  need about one month in advance preparation.

  Maciej and Jacob are in charge of the core Gnome 1.4 release.
  Ian Peters, Jamin Gray  are in charge of the extra apps release.
  Dan Mueth is the documentation coordinator. Kan Marass is in charge
  of the translation coordination.

  We need to start thinking about Gnome-2.0 right now, and start building
  the new coordination team for 2.0, starting with 2 core coordinator
  (from 2 differrent companies).

- membership committee and membership criteria

  Criteria was very loose, we should double check.
  Dan Mueth, Chris Dibona, Martin Baulig and Russell Steinthal are 
  currently maintaining the membership.
  We should invite them to be the membership committee, and get their
  opinion about existing problems.

- New addition to Gnome software lists

  Candidate for addition will have to post to gnome-1.4 list


Daniel Veillard w3 org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | libxml Gnome XML toolkit
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | http://xmlsoft.org/
Fax : +33 476 615 207  | 38330 Montbonnot FRANCE | Rpmfind search site
 http://www.w3.org/People/all#veillard%40w3.org  | http://rpmfind.net/

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]