Re: Foundation summary

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> It's possible that our desire to feel more legitimate about our
> authority is entirely self-serving, but I think rather that we are
> channeling a sense of discomfort felt by a lot of the community.

This is the first I've heard of this sort of discomfort on the part of
the steering committee members.

> I understand your desire to avoid beaurocracy - I don't think any of
> us want that, really. Mainly what we are trying to do is formalize
> more or less what we have been doing already, and make it more open.

So, the steering committee wants to legitimize their authority, and at
the same time provide a medium for charitable contribution.  The
advisory panel's purpose is to provide a medium for companies to
affiliate themselves with Gnome (via the requisite contribution) and has
little other influence.  The foundation board spends corporate and
charitable donations on public resources to further the development and
distribution of Gnome.

Mike