Re: What is GNOME? (meetings, politics, voting, and mailing lists).

Yes, politics occur in person, in private mail, and on mailing lists...

Part of why the IETF does not "vote" at a meeting is to make sure that
those who can only participate via mailing lists are not disenfranchised.
To do almost anything in the IETF you have to have an archived public
mailing list.

The only "straw polls" taken at IETF meetings (or in other IETF related
meetings) MUST be confirmed on the mailing lists, and in-person meetings
that are IETF related have requirements on publication of the meetings,
etc.  In general, as I've said before, voting ends up being avoided as
much as possible in the IETF; it becomes very problematical to organize
any sort of voting scheme in large, anyone can join, situations that do
not have serious problems both socially and legally.

The reason for all of these requirements is anti-trust law as well as
(I argue more importantly) the transparency required for people to trust
that there are no shenanigans going on: requiring that rough consenus
can only take place by archived mailing lists ensures that everything
must take place in public, rather than in back-room deals between vendors.
This avoids most cabals, and satisfies legal requirements.

While these sorts of requirements are not a problem today with Gnome,
if Gnome succeeds, it will very rapidly become an absolute necessity for
people who work for companies to be able to participate.  You are about
to have companies bet large sums of money on the Gnome project, and these
legal niceties (though I argue the social niceties that resulte are equally
important) are not just fluff, but actually essential for large companies
to bet their business on.  People do not like spending time in front
of Judge Jackson...

			- Jim

--
Jim Gettys