Re: What is GNOME?

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> >  - if you want to be a member, you just ask, and the steering
> >committee rubber-stamp approves it if they see any evidence of
> >participation in GNOME - if you want to be a member you have to have
> >work included in a GNOME release
>
> Suggestion #3,
> 	Have a list for the discussion of the foundations
> matters. Anyone who has been active[1] on that list for 2 of the last
> 3 months gets to vote.  I figure if you arent on that list you arent
> qualified to judge the situation.

I don't like this idea very much. Compare it to normal political elections,
for instance.

Politics does not always happen on mailing lists and a person can be very
well informed about the political situation and also "active" (for instance
by talking with friends, in family, etc.) in politics without being active
on such a mailing list.

So basically you'd deny all people who prefer to get informed by some other
means than this list about foundation politics of their voting rights.

--
Martin Baulig
martin@gnome.org (private)