Re: Minutes of the GNOME Foundation Board meeting 28 November 2000

I like the idea  of open CVS commit in principle, but am increasingly
skeptical that completely open CVS commit will scale as Gnome continues
to grow.   Don't confuse lack of ACL's from the effect that they have
had, which, I argue below, is actually tight feedback from bug fixing to
distributions of the fixes.

What matters by far the ***MOST*** is that patches/fixes get applied in
a very timely fashion, independent of what mechanism is used.

***It is this timelyness of feedback from bug report to fix available
  that encourages contribution, in all my experience and observation of
  a number of projects***.

Each development style has its tradeoffs, but this observation seems true
across all successful open source projects.  I see this across Apache,
the Linux Kernel, Gnome, and XFree86 (now that it has opened up access
on the read side).

Even with competant engineers and more limited commit policies, things
go wrong, so I'm not arguing that there is a direct correlation between
commit policy and outcome.  For example, there was a recent set of commits
for the sake of IA64 made to XFree86 from someone who did not understand
that the change was unnecessary, adn would break binary compatibility
(of course X has run fine on 64 bit Alpha systems since the early 1990's,
what's more, showing an amazing lack of historical knowledge). But the
engineer was very competant, to the point of updating the standards
documents! Thankfully, CVS made it easy to back out this disaster, and
peer review caught it immediately. There is no substitute for wide immediate
availability and peer review to catch such problems.  Feedback limited
the damage to a few days tops.

But I think there are two pimary arguments for ACLS:
	o malice and
	o stability

To use a poor analogy, before 1995 we didn't worry about SPAM on the Internet:
now we have to.  Now we have SPAM, and people who deliberately deface
open source web sites (we had a break in on handhelds.org last week, despite
having been pretty careful about security; you wonder why someone would
bother...).

But Open Source is growing up, and malice will eventually cause trouble.

Independent of malace, I am most skeptical about stability as you run
up to releases: it may be that open commit most of the time will work to yet
signficantly larger scale, but I'm quite dubious that open commit all of the
time up to date of release will continue to work.  Statistically, this
seems unlikely as the project grows.

At a minimum, I believe we must work to have an ACL mechanism in place,
as the day, unfortunately, WILL come.  Sigh...

"Think of me as CVS with brains." - L. Torvalds.

				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Technology and Corporate Development