Re: New York Times story (GNOME Foundation == OSF??)

Telsa Gwynne <hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 10:38:56AM -0600 or thereabouts, Mark Galassi wrote:
> [re NYT story]
> > I am unhappy with this story.  It looks like the announcement of
> > OSF/Motif teaming up against OpenLook (and vice-versa) might have
> > looked fifteen years ago.
> >
> > The story should have made it clear that the foundation consists of a
> > group of hackers who *might* be working for these companies.  Emphasis
> > could have been put on how many of them GNOME developers do not work
> > for free software business, and that the crucial work was done before
> > business (except maybe Red Hat) stepped in.
>
> You think that's bad? Have a look at how the Register are telling
> it:
>
>    Sun sources tell us that it will unveil its "GNOME Foundation"
>    initiative at the San Jose LinuxWorld expo this week.

Or even the Slashdot article introducing the NYTimes article:

  Spasemunki writes: "The NYTimes has a piece today on an agreement
  reached among I.B.M., Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, Sun Microsystems and
  several other developers to create the Gnome Foundation, a developer
  consortium that will undertake, among other things, the creation of
  a standardized desktop interface for Linux, and a suite of
  productivity programs designed to compete with MS office.

This is even more problematic than the NYTimes article.  The Slashdot
editors should be more careful about what summary they choose.

- Hari