Re: getting ready for announcement

Andy Tai <atai@ece.ucsd.edu> writes:

> Hi, as a GNOME user, I think the following statements should appear in
> the charter, as is or in some other form, but clearly stated:
>
> 1. GNOME is part of the GNU Project.
> 2. GNOME aims to create a free desktop, the user interface component of a free
> operating system (or the GNU system). ("Free" as defined by the FSF or
> the Debian Free Software Guidelines)  (not meaning for free system only)
> 3. GNOME supports the goals of the GNU Project, as defined by the FSF (borrowed
> from the gcc mission statement)
>

> These are what GNOME is all about, and should be clearly mentioned in its
> charter. I believe the GNOME leadership (Miguel) supports the above in the
> charter.
>
> Companies do not have to fully agree with the above, but their activities in
> the GNOME Foundation  should not conflict with the above.  Gcc is a great
> GNU project with wide industry involvement, while remaining GNU, and GNOME
> can do the same.
>
> Just my very small fraction of a cent

IMO, these things should be adopted as part of the bylaws, not part of
the charter, so we can ammend them in case <paranoia mode="on">the
goals of the GNU project ever change</paranoia>. Of course this
situation is extremely unlikely, but we should put as little as
possible into the articles of incorporation themselves, IMO.

 - Maciej