Re: getting ready for announcement

Hi, as a GNOME user, I think the following statements should appear in
the charter, as is or in some other form, but clearly stated:

1. GNOME is part of the GNU Project.
2. GNOME aims to create a free desktop, the user interface component of a free
operating system (or the GNU system). ("Free" as defined by the FSF or
the Debian Free Software Guidelines)  (not meaning for free system only)
3. GNOME supports the goals of the GNU Project, as defined by the FSF (borrowed
from the gcc mission statement)

These are what GNOME is all about, and should be clearly mentioned in its
charter. I believe the GNOME leadership (Miguel) supports the above in the
charter.

Companies do not have to fully agree with the above, but their activities in
the GNOME Foundation  should not conflict with the above.  Gcc is a great
GNU project with wide industry involvement, while remaining GNU, and GNOME
can do the same.

Just my very small fraction of a cent