Minutes of the Board Meeting of January, 05th, 2016

= Minutes for Tuesday, January 5th 2016, 20:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, 12 January, 20:00 UTC

== Attending ==

 * Jeff F.T.
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Alexandre Franke
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Allan Day
 * Shaun McCance

== Regrets ==

 * Andrea Veri

== Missing ==

== Agenda for Jan 5 ==

 * Statement of support for the SFC's campaign
 * Drew Adams' question regarding SCALE
 * J-P Mengual's partnership request for accessibility work
 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
 * Meta-discussion on attracting new contributors?
 * GNOME logo use as avatar

Ongoing:
 * ED search update
 * Google Play account
 * Status of logo copyright
 * CiviCRM discussion
 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks

== Minutes ==

 * Statement of support for the SFC's campaign
  * Discussed on the mailing list, all in support
  * Delegated to the Engagement team

 * Marc Dunivan and Drew Adams' questions regarding SCALE
  * Do we have a presence at SCALE and Ubucon lately? Not that we know of. We used to have volunteers
attending SCALE and manning a booth there some years ago, but they moved into different states/countries now.
  * SCALE is 21st of January, too late for this year
  * Need to recover and revamp the north-american Event Box (engagement team to evaluate the gear that it
needs now)
  * Need local people to step up (hi, foundation-list!) to make this initiative happen again
  * ACTION: Allan to get back to Drew and Adam saying we can't pull off a booth now, but we can send
stickers/promo materials and we're interested for the future

 * J-P Mengual's partnership request (for accessibility work)
  * What would the partnership concretely entail?
  * We can definitely support them in promoting their crowdfunding campaign
  * They are a for-profit company, it looks like the role they want to have is to manage how the development
work happens
  * We don't want to be collecting money for a for-profit company
  * Need clarification on what they mean exactly with URLs exchange
  * ACTION: Cosimo to get back to them

 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
  * Same amount, or bigger (or lower) amount than the previous fundraiser?
   * We are in a different situation than 2010, would we be able to raise as much?
    * The previous figure of 40k sounds like a really hard sell nowadays.
    * The tricky part if aiming high (or higher) is it looks bad if we don't hit it
   * The idea is to raise money from new companies, such as hosting companies, but it's a large task and
needs connections from inside those companies (hi, foundation list?)
  * We can always do with more help. An alternative approach could be to request sysadmin time from our
sponsors?
   * General feeling it would be good, but probably needs training, or it would feel alien to the community
  * ACTION: Jeff to talk to Andrea and Patrick to get a good estimation of how many hours per week we would
routinely need to keep things going, then we could try to aim for a specific number that covers e.g. a full
year

 * GNOME logo use as avatar
  * Precedent of the "I am GNOME" logo, which was semi-officially recommended as a badge/avatar during 3.0
days
  * Probably we should have clearer guidelines about when to use or not the logo, and redirect people to the
"I am GNOME" logo for that purpose
  * Further discussion deferred

Ongoing:
 * ED search update
  * 2015-12-01
   * No news received in recent weeks, mostly because of holidays
  * 2015-12-08
   * 3 candidates are going to have a couple of one hour interviews with ~2 members of the hiring committee
per interview. Scheduling of these metings is just beginning.
  * 2015-12-15
   * No updates.
  * 2015-12-22
   * No updates.
  * 2015-01-05
   * No updates.

 * Google Play account
  * 2015-12-01
   * ACTION: Alexandre to follow up with the Release Team about this
  * 2015-12-08
   * Alexandre mailed the Release Team today, still waiting for an answer.
  * 2015-12-15
   * No updates.
  * 2015-12-22
   * No updates.
  * 2015-01-05
   * No updates.

 * Status of logo copyright
  * 2015-12-01
   * ACTION: Shaun to send out email to d-d-l with proposal
   * No news on this, action item from Shaun is still pending.
  * 2015-12-08
   * No news still. Action item is still pending.
  * 2015-12-15
   * No news still. Action item is still pending.
  * 2015-12-22
   * No news still. Action item is still pending.
  * 2015-01-05
   * No news.

 * CiviCRM discussion (from 2015-12-15's minutes)
  * ACTION: Jeff to pick the item up again in 2016

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Paypal giving fund
  * Alexandre proposed to evaluate the "Giving Fund" program at Paypal
  * The program allows charities to get more exposure and to receive donations without transaction fees

== Completed actions ==

 * DX hackfest in January 2016
  * ACTION: Kat to get back to Philip

 * Endless design hackfest
   * ACTION: Cosimo to communicate the to the travel committee about the extra budget and to process the
requests quickly because of time constraints
   * ACTION: Allan to communicate to the other designers involved in the hackfest to get travel requests in
ASAP
   * ACTION: Cosimo to communicate to Endless organizers for publicity on the hackfest

== Pending action items ==
 * Marc Dunivan and Drew Adams' questions regarding SCALE
  * Allan to get back to Drew and Adam saying we can't pull off a booth now, but we can send stickers/promo
materials and we're interested for the future
 * J-P Mengual's partnership request
  * Cosimo to get back to them
 * Sysadmin fundraising levels and perks
   * Jeff to talk to Andrea and Patrick to get a good estimation of how many hours per week we would
routinely need to keep things going, then we could try to aim for a specific number that covers e.g. a full
year
 * Allan and Sri to coordinate with the engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
 * Cosimo to follow up with interested parties on how to spend the Privacy campaign funds
 * Jeff and Cosimo to handle the first review of sysadmin sponsorship brochure and any eventual improvement
to the sponsorship brochure
 * Shaun: GNOME logo use by podiatrist
  * Podiatrist possible trademark infringement: Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and
update the licensing page on the website (obsolete)
 * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for
defence against Groupon
 * Logo usage for t-shirts: Allan to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines
written down for future cases
 * Shaun and Allan to create a webpage for prior pants winners
 * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered
final over all the GNOME yearly events
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
 * Andrea to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services (current draft is at
https://wiki.gnome.org/Foundation/Privacy)
  * Sysadmin Team's NDA should also be covered when dealing with this item
 * Allan will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Cosimo to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Christian to investigate the GNOME gifts situation (inventory management: some stuff we have heaps of,
some we run out of stock quickly; consider an on-demand production service)

--

Cheers,

Andrea

Debian Developer,