Minutes of the Board Meeting of September, 15th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, September 15th, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September ??th, 2015, 19:00UTC

== Attending ==

 * Shaun McCance
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Christian Hergert
 * Allan Day
 * Jeff F. T.

== Regrets ==

 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Andrea Veri

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Revisit meeting time?
   * Since the current time was decided to help the european people joining, it doesn't seem to work. Should
we revisit?
   * ACTION: Shaun to bring that up to the mailing list

 * Discussion of Pam's email regarding Ubuntu GNOME
   * Ubuntu GNOME already are running with it; we did not tell them not to use the logo so they're already
using it
   * They implemented the feedback we gave them months ago.
   * Other distros do not always use the GNOME logo and name, so it's a case peculiar to Ubuntu GNOME
   * This case is different because the name is combined with the Ubuntu one, as opposed to just using the
logo to advertise they're using GNOME software
   * We need to officially license the logo if we want to keep being able to defend our trademark
   * Foundation would not really be able to answer the question of defining exactly what constitutes GNOME
   * ACTION: Allan to follow up with Pam about where this need for definition comes from, possibly set up an
IRC meeting
     * Will try to dodge answering that specific question

 * Need to contact Pam for trademarks needing renewal?
   * ACTION: Jeff will talk to Pam about this since she's a trademark
lawyer --> DONE

 * GNOME logo use by podiatrist (Shaun)
   * Shaun wasn't able to find copyright status of our logo yet
   * Legitimate in trademark terms
   * We can ask about attribution

 * Trademark-infringing swag (Cosimo)
   * Asked Karen for advice

 * Logo usage for tshirts
   * No news on Alexandru Cojocaru's request from 8/25
   * ACTION: Cosimo to reply to him saying we're looking into it

 * Hellotux still moving, need more iterations
   * Still need more information from them
   * ACTION: Allan will reach out directly to them and shorten the communication loop

 * Freedesktop hackfests with Groupon money (Kat)
   * Deferred until Kat is here

 * Privacy funds hackfest (Sri, Christian)
   * No news

 *  GUADEC 2016
   * Previously had agreed to extend the deadline (https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20150826
and https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoardPrivate/Minutes/20150901), and announce it, but we haven't done that
   * 1st October should be the deadline for bids.
   * Local teams should be encouraged to communicate with the board if they need more time.
   * Kat mentioned she told this to the groups involved in the bids
   * Wiki needs to be updated and a mail sent to foundation-list.
   * ACTION: Shaun update the wiki and send mail

 *  Annual report
   * It's pretty much done; in the hands of Andreas to layout
   * Would be nice to have printed copies for Sri's presentation next week.
     * Sri would need to look into this himself, as it's really close
   * Want to have them in time for Boston Summit in any case
   * Primary audience is AdBoard in any case. How did we distribute these in the past?
     * AdBoard meeting preferred way of doing it. Prior to them we mailed it to them.
     * If we mail, would be best to do from a single location. Rosanna could do it, but she needs physical
addresses for AdBoard members which we don't have currently
     * Should also send them out to potential future members
     * ACTION: Jeff to fish addresses

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Business cards
  * Sri proposed the adoption of generic business cards for marketing purposes
  * Allan will take care of arranging a possible official design for the cards, see the thread at:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/engagement-list/2015-September/msg00059.html
  * No planned expense has been decided yet about this topic, the Board will follow up when an official
design will be ready

== Completed actions ==

  * Jeff to follow up with Federico about the wooden foot gift experiment

== Pending action items ==
 * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for
defence against Groupon
 * Logo usage for t-shirts: Jeff to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines
written down for future cases
 * Podiatrist possible trademark infringement: Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and
update the licensing page on the website
 * Allan to make a proposal for a different way to use the wiki/etherpad for action items, instead of using
kanboard
 * Jeff to get advisory board contact details from Karen. If this fails, we need to start developing our own
contacts and record them on the wiki.
 *  Create a webpage for prior pants winners (Shaun and Allan)
 * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered
final over all the GNOME yearly events
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
 * Andrea to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Allan will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Cosimo to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Christian to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Sri to coordinate with engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
 * Jeff to find existing fundraising brochure/proposal documents and come up with one for fundraising for a
sysadmin

--

Cheers,

Andrea