Minutes of the Board Meeting of September, 08th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, September 8th, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September 15th, 2015, 19:00UTC

== Attending ==

 * Shaun McCance
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Christian Hergert

== Regrets ==

 * Allan Day
 * Andrea Veri
 * JF Fortin T.

== Missing ==

== Board meeting ==

 * Funding request for release party.
  * Release party in Indonesia, request by Siska Iskandar
  * Siska's original request is $798. She's OK with the board funding less than requested.
  * General sentiment that we should support her
    * Funded $500 for GNOME Peru fest as prior art, but this does not have a proven track record
    * Kat: should probably assign $300-400 as a starting point
    * Shaun: might be worthwhile in the future to have marketing material boxes for this kind of events
    * South America and Asia are less keen to have event boxes because the communities are smaller and more
tight. Also shipping costs are much higher - would be almost as much as the box itself
      * Then we should have something on the Wiki for people to prepare one
      * Tried to engage Marketing team about this but didn't get much response
      * Engagement team should reach out to Julita, Siska, Emily, etc what they would find useful in a box
like that
      * ACTION: Rosanna will ask the engagement team after we're done with the Annual Report.
    * VOTE: allocate $350 to the release party. +1 Cosimo, Shaun, Christian, Kat
      * VOTE PASSED

  * Action items:
    * GNOME logo use by podiatrist (Shaun)

    * Logo usage for tshirts (Jeff)

    * Trademark-infringing swag (Cosimo)

    * Freedesktop hackfests with Groupon money (Kat)

    * Privacy funds hackfest (Sri, Christian)
      * Idea to get it rolled up with West Coast summit
      * Been on weekly calls with Sri for West Coast summit organization. Want to expand the scope of the
conference to much larger and not exclusively tied to GNOME
      * Not sure if West Coast summit will be the best forum to do this given the expanded scope
      * Sri sent a proposal to the Board two weeks ago about the Summit, with a request for $2K funding
attached
        * Not sure how much is going to be GNOME-centric after reading the proposal
        * Organizers are still focusing on finding sponsors and finding the right format
        * Sri's proposal does not have clear benefits for GNOME, so the request for Foundation money is a bit
more dubious
          * We don't typically spinsor event organization for non-GNOME events (even though we sponsor people
to attend)
          * Idea is also to expand companies investing in the GNOME platform
        * Christian's preference would be to do this as part of LPC, but that's proving to be difficult
        * Is it a conference targeted to developers or budget decision-makers then? That can change the scope
of GNOME's involvement
        * General consensus that this conference is a great idea, but we don't have enough details to vote on
funding
        * Rosanna: we could help with handling the money without charging an administrative fee
        * Shaun: would like to see a budget in any case before we vote on any funding request
        * ACTION: Shaun will write his thoughts and reply to Sri
      * No other concrete alternatives - we'll let this rest for a bit more

  * Open items:
    * GUADEC 2016
      * Another three weeks to send bids
      * Karlshrue team met last week - things are ongoing
      * Bern team haven't submitted an intention to bid yet

    * Annual report
      * Being proofread - waiting for Allan to come back for approval
since he's the editor
      * Still on track to publish it before the end of FY
      * We'll put it on people's agenda much sooner for next year

    * ED search
      * Still waiting on committee to come back with candidates
      * Quick poke might get people moving
        * ACTION: Christian to poke ED search committee
          * Board is interested if more PR is needed, or if any involvement from board/community would help
          * Would like regular updates about state of things bi-weekly/monthly

    * Google Play account
      * Javier from release-team followed up and volunteered to help
      * Out of board's hands at that point

    * Desktop summit taxes
      * Received information from KDE eV
      * ACTION: Rosanna to read the document once more and follow up

== Pending action items ==
 * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for
defence against Groupon
 * Christian to reach out to the ED Search committee and get some updates
 * Cosimo to ask Karen about the trademark-infringing mousepads and report his findings to the mailing list
 * Logo usage for t-shirts: Jeff to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines
written down for future cases
 * Podiatrist possible trademark infringement: Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and
update the licensing page on the website
 * Allan to make a proposal for a different way to use the wiki/etherpad for action items, instead of using
kanboard
 * Jeff to get advisory board contact details from Karen. If this fails, we need to start developing our own
contacts and record them on the wiki.
 *  Create a webpage for prior pants winners (Shaun and Allan)
 * Advisory Board meeting at GUADEC: Jeff to contact advisory board members by phone about joining the call
on the 4th
 * Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst on Anual Report
 * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads): Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a
proposal to the board
 * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered
final over all the GNOME yearly events
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
 * Andrea to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Allan will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Cosimo to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Christian to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Sri to coordinate with engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
 * Jeff to find existing fundraising brochure/proposal documents and come up with one for fundraising for a
sysadmin

--

Cheers,

Andrea