Minutes of the Board Meeting of September, 22th, 2015

= Minutes for Tuesday, September 22th, 2015, 19:00 UTC =

Next meeting date Tuesday, September 29th, 2015, 19:00UTC

== Attending ==

 * Shaun McCance
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Cosimo Cecchi
 * Christian Hergert
 * Allan Day
 * Jeff F. T.
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova

== Regrets ==

== Missing ==

 * Andrea Veri
== Board meeting ==

 * Trademark maintenance
  * Expiring next year
  * Official USPTO Courtesy Reminder of Required Trademark Registration Maintenance Filings Under Sections 8 
and 9:
    U.S. Trademark RN 3142484: G (Stylized/Design)
    * This is the GNOME foot logo
    * Renewal cost $400
  * Official USPTO Courtesy Reminder of Required Trademark Registration Maintenance Filings Under Sections 8 
and 9:
    U.S. Trademark RN 3142483: GNOME
    * This is the GNOME word mark
    * Renewal cost $800
  * Pam has offered to prepare the paperwork (and file it, if the Foundation would like her to)
  * No objections to renew
  * ACTION: Kat to write to Pam and ask to proceed with renewal

 * Travel budget for Oct 2015-March 2016 (I would like to propose that we assign $20000)
  * We spent less money this year, so we can assign a bit more money this time around
  * People already started filing requests for Boston Summit, so we should do this soon
    * Got the sense that Boston Summit will probably only absorb $1k/$2k
  * In next six months there will be quite a bit of hackfests guessing on previous years
    * If the budget isn't used it will go back to the Foundation
    * $20k is pretty standard according to previous years, before we had the spending freeze
  * VOTE: allocate $20k budget to Travel committee: +1 Shaun, Kat, Christian, Cosimo, Allan. Jeff abstained 
because would like to see budget first.
    * VOTE passed
  * ACTION: Kat to communicate budget allocation to Travel committee

 * Ongoing COLA increase paperwork for Rosanna
  * Need paperwork approved by Shaun
  * Rosanna will write a summary to Shaun of what needs to be done

 * Discussion of Pam's email regarding Ubuntu GNOME.
  * Logo sufficiently different from ours that it wouldn't be a concern
  * However there is a concern about using the GNOME name, in case one day they stop to use GNOME
  * Quite strong recommendation is to have a trademark agreement, but we need to define what makes GNOME such 
in order for that to be possible
    * Tricky to define technically
    * Should at least use GNOME Shell, but it's a slippery slope to which extent we can define this
    * GTK should also be there, but GNOME Shell already pulls that in too
  * Goal is to protect ourselves from entities using the GNOME trademark in ways we don't like
  * Perhaps we can suggest GNOME Shell with the right to review how it's being used
  * We can also add another core item to cover more ground, such as Control Center 
  * But we should not mandate more apps since distributions should be free to provide their applications user 
  * ACTION: Allan will follow up with Pam with the result of further discussion about the Ubuntu GNOME logo 
(include GNOME Shell + Control Center in the agreement with an option for the Board to review)

 * Discussion of regional domain names.
  * We should be open to people doing this
  * Ahmed should be free to either give the domain to the Foundation and administer it, or keep using it 
  * Worry: owning a lot of domains that we don't use
  * Worry: hard for us to intervene when the quality is not up to par
  * Looks like we could NOT technically hold the registration for an .id domain as an US corporation
  * Proposal: let them run gnome.id as an user group and not get involved
    * Should we change the policy then?
    * Policy only seems to apply to unknown third parties.
      * Proposal: we should add a note that we are open to user groups and local communities contacting us to 
obtain permission.
      * User group agreement already has this language. We should add it to the wiki page as well.
  * VOTE: let the group own gnome.id. +1 Shaun, Jeff, Cosimo, Kat. Christian, Allan abstained.
    * VOTE passed.
    * ACTION: Kat to communicate the decision
  * Let's add the note to https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Resources/LicensingGuidelines
    * ACTION: Cosimo to update the page

 * Trademark-infringing swag
  * Karen advised for a board member to contact them explaining the wrong use of the logo in both trademark 
and copyright
  * Still ongoing action item for Cosimo to write this and have Karen proofread it before sending.

 * Logo usage for tshirts
  * Would be great to have a standard agreement or process, but it's difficult because sometimes needs are 
different for each case
  * If we had a "default" agreement we could branch it out to accommodate specific needs, even though that 
needs the help of a lawyer
  * What kind of variations?
    * Sometimes there could be nothing to sell, or there is no royalty agreement
    * But more in general we could have a "default swag" agreement
  * Hope that when HELLOTUX agreement is done that can become our reference point
  * We will move this conversation forward when the HELLOTUX agreement is complete

 * Adboard memberships
  * Deferred

 * Action items:
  * GNOME logo use by podiatrist (Shaun)
  * Logo usage for tshirts (Jeff)
  * Trademark-infringing swag (Cosimo)
  * Freedesktop hackfests with Groupon money (Kat)
  * Privacy funds hackfest (Sri, Christian)

 * Open items:
  * GUADEC 2016
  * Annual report
  * ED search
  * Google Play account

== Pending action items ==
 * Kat to draft a call for Free Desktop-style hackfests which would be sponsored with money raised for 
defence against Groupon
 * Christian to reach out to the ED Search committee and get some updates
 * Cosimo to ask Karen about the trademark-infringing mousepads and report his findings to the mailing list
 * Logo usage for t-shirts: Jeff to carry on with the process and follow up and have some general guidelines 
written down for future cases
 * Podiatrist possible trademark infringement: Shaun to check the trademark details for the GNOME logo and 
update the licensing page on the website
 * Allan to make a proposal for a different way to use the wiki/etherpad for action items, instead of using 
 * Jeff to get advisory board contact details from Karen. If this fails, we need to start developing our own 
contacts and record them on the wiki.
 *  Create a webpage for prior pants winners (Shaun and Allan)
 * Advisory Board meeting at GUADEC: Jeff to contact advisory board members by phone about joining the call 
on the 4th
 * Allan to follow up with Oliver Propst on Anual Report
 * Trademark-infringing swag (mousepads): Cosimo to follow up about possible future actions and send a 
proposal to the board
 * Cosimo to follow up in the upcoming meetings and prepare a version of the CoC to be finally considered 
final over all the GNOME yearly events
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for which we handle money
 * Kat to propose privacy bounty T&C/rules for review
 * Andrea to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Allan will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Cosimo to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Christian to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Sri to coordinate with engagement team to better standardize the licensing of GNOME artwork
 * Jeff to find existing fundraising brochure/proposal documents and come up with one for fundraising for a 




Debian Developer,
Fedora / EPEL packager,
GNOME Sysadmin Team Coordinator,
GNOME Foundation Membership & Elections Committee Chairman

Homepage: http://www.gnome.org/~av

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: Digital signature

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]