Meeting Minutes Published - May 13, 2010

The meeting minutes for the May 13th GNOME Foundation board meeting
is now published.  Refer here:


Other past board meetings are archived here:


-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of May 13th, 2010

Next Meeting

    * May 27, 2010


    * Brian Cameron
    * Diego Escalante Urrelo
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Paul Cutler
    * Rosanna Yuen
    * Stormy Peters
    * Vincent Untz


    * Srinivasa Ragavan


    * Jorge Castro (at UDS?)

Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to
      the board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * Update website.

New Items

    * Stormy's bonus review
          o All board members have provided feedback and some final
            decisions are being made.
          o Plan to have the bonus approved within the next week.

    * GNOME Foundation elections
          o Nobody on the board has yet announced their candidacy for
            the next term.
          o Germán suggests board members should write/blog about their
            tasks, what they do, the work involved, what people who are
            considering to run should expect (i.e. the amount of work
            per week involved with emails/discussions, etc.)
          o ACTION: Everyone needs to encourage appropriate people to
            consider running for the board.
          o ACTION: Everyone on the board who plans to run for the next
            term needs to announce their candidacy.

    * Making the bid for GUADEC public?
          o Germán hopes that this will be done by next week.
          o Getting this completed within the next week would be good.
            There will be good timing with the extension of the
            deadline for the 2011 Desktop Summit.

    * Sysadmin job
          o An Interview Team has been established
                + The Interview Team is composed of 3 people: Jonathan
                  Blandford, Bradley Kuhn and Brad Taylor
                + Once hired, the sysadmin will report to Stormy.
                + Paul had an action to touch base with legal. The
                  email has been sent, but no response yet.
                + ACTION: Stormy will contact legal.

    * Andalucia Accessibility Bid
          o Stormy asked the people from Andalucia to introduce
            themselves on the foundation-list.
          o There was a requirement in the bid that they must work with
          o Should we do a press release? Stormy highlights that if we
            decide to do another a11y hackfest that we could combine
          o ACTION: Vincent will talk to Juan Jesús Ojeda (Juanje) from
            Andalucia and ask them to blog about the project.

    * Finances
          o Annual Report update
                + ACTION: Paul will send an Annual Report update by May
                + ACTION: Paul will follow up with Germán about the
                  financial data for the Annual Report.
          o ACTION: Germán will share the financial data that was
            provided to the advisory board to foundation-list.
          o Update about what has been done with the GNOME Foundation
            bank account since we discovered someone tried to cash a
            fraudulent check.
                + The GNOME Foundation now has a new checking account.
                + The old account is still available for receiving
                  money, but money cannot be withdrawn from that
                  account. To transfer money out, Rosanna needs to call
                  them to unlock it temporarily.
                + The checks for the new account have been received.
                + There is still work to do. Rosanna still needs to set
                  up the new account to accept wire transfers, for
                  example. This work is underway.
          o Acquiring a GNOME Foundation credit card.
                + We need this for mobile donations and for setting up
                + Vincent, Brian, Paul, Diego, and Germán all approved.
                + ACTION: Rosanna will apply for credit cards for
                  herself and Stormy.
          o GnuCash automation
                + Germán received the GnuCash automation information
                  from Rosanna and hopes to have some progress by the
                  next week.
                + We will do a call for volunteers to get the GnuCash
                  automation work done. Stormy recommends hiring
                  someone to do this work if there is not response from
                  the call for volunteers.
          o Providing a program like "Friends of GNOME" to
                + Perhaps the "Friends of GNOME" program should be
                  expanded to allow organizations to participate, or
                  should a new program be established?
                      # ACTION: Diego will touch base with the
                        marketing list to determine the best name and
                        process for managing this.
          o Nokia arrangement and plans to coordinate with consulting
                + A conversation has started on the GTK+ list.
                + Once we get feedback from the GTK+ list, the mobile
                  list, and the advisory board list, then the board
                  will need to make a decision about what to do.
                + We probably need to look for leaders to handle this
                  kind of topics in the future. We had Paul and Dave
                  working on this in the past.
          o Donations in Brazil
                + ACTION: Vincent will send an email to Jonh thanking
                  him for doing the research about accepting donations
                  in Brazil via "Boletos".
          o 360° Board Performance Review Survey
                + Results were sent to the list and are under

    * Event Updates
          o Marketing Hackfest in Zaragoza
                + The Zaragoza Marketing Hackfest went really well and
                  was even more productive than the last Marketing
                  hackfest in Chicago.
                + The marketing team at the hackfest finished or almost
                  finished a lot of new material (talking point,
                  business cards, etc.).
          o GNOME.Asia Summit/COSCUP co-located event in Taiwan
                + On Tuesday, May 11, the organizers for GNOME.Asia and
                  COSCUP had their first IRC meeting together. They are
                  planning to continue to have weekly IRC meetings
                  together to organize and coordinate
                + Currently working to get the website together.
                + Starting the process to seek sponsors.
          o GUADEC
                + The AGM will be on Thursday at the end of the day so
                  that there are no conflicting meetings.
                + ACTION: Stormy will ping the GUADEC organizers to
                  make sure that meeting rooms for the board and
                  advisory board meetings are properly scheduled.
          o "Co-locating in 2011"
                + The deadline for the Call for Bids will be extended.
          o AEGIS conference and a11y hackfest there
                + The AEGIS project is an EU-funded effort at building
                  primarily open source accessibility solutions in the
                  desktop, web, and mobile spaces
                + AEGIS is having their first international conference
                  & user workshop in Seville, Spain October 6-8. The
                  announcement and call for paper submissions can be
                  found at:
                + Joanmarie Diggs from the GNOME accessibility
                  community will be giving a keynote.
                + Should we plan to do a GNOME accessibility hackfest
                  either before or after the AEGIS event?
                + Need to consider having more of a GNOME presence at
                  this event.
                + This is a topic for the next a11y IRC meeting, so
                  there will likely be more of an update soon.

    * The board has been using Vincent's gobby server and it has proved
      to be useful for taking minutes. Therefore, having a reliable
      long-term solution is something we should investigate.
          o ACTION: Paul will talk to the sysadmin team about setting
            up a gobby server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for
            minute taking and other purposes.

Completed Actions

    * Diego - Will lead the board member review process: pick a date,
      send reminders and coordinate with Stormy the missing members
    * Diego - Will help Stormy to organize the Zaragoza event.
    * Diego - Will respond to Ronaldo Padula (Loja Geek Depto
      Comercial) to let him know that the GNOME Foundation is
      interested in negotiating merchandising agreements, but only if
      they are non-exclusive. This task was done shortly after the
    * Germán - Regarding the Accessibility contract from Adalucia,
      Check if Emergy and/or Yaco can attend at least one day at
      Zaragoza. If not possible, Stormy may have a meeting with them in
      Seville. People from both companies went to Zaragoza event and
      they had a meeting.
    * Rosanna - Will send emails about the state of GnuCash automation
      to Paul so that he is in the loop about the state of affairs.
    * Stormy - Will provide Diego with information about the results
      from the survey that each board member was responsible for
      filling out.
    * Everyone - To review Stormy's report and provide feedback on
      Stormy's bonus.

Status of action items

    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Draft approved by board. Now under review by the GNOME
      legal team.
    * Brian - Develop trademark usage forms for common use cases. James
      Vasile from legal is working with Brian on this.
    * Brian - Will track progress of GNOME.Asia event organization.
    * Brian - Will follow up with the GNOME Usability community to
      determine a schedule for upcoming Usability hackfests. An email
      was sent to the GNOME usability list to encourage planning for
      GUADEC BOF's, but no response yet.
    * Diego - Taken over from Stormy. Will work with Gil Forcada from and gnome-marketing to define the best way for
      organizations like to participate in the GNOME
      community. Not many replies from the community. Diego will draft
      something more concrete for gnome-marketing and ask for comments.
    * Germán - Will do the needful to make the bid for GUADEC public.
    * Jorge - Will send an email seeking hackfest sponsorships from the
      advisory board.
    * Jorge - Taken over from Lucas - Work to ensure that Foundation
      members sign the GNOME Code of Conduct, and make it a requirement
      that new Foundation members need to sign this. Lucas completed a
      draft currently under review, tarted discussion on foundation
      list, got a lot comments and feedback, and summarized the
      discussion points. The board seems to be still interested in
      proposing Code of Conduct as an official guideline for Foundation
      members as a way have a more clear message about the values of
      the GNOME community.
    * Jorge - Check records of organizations with existing contracts to
      use the GNOME trademark. Taken over from Vincent. Look at the
      archives in 2005 and try to determine which companies can use the
      GNOME trademark. Know what kind of contracts we had with them.
    * Paul - Will send an email to the foundation-list and the gnucash
      list seeking someone to take over the GnuCash automation. Taken
      over from Behdad.
    * Paul - Will provide the board update in a week to the Board with
      a list of articles and percentage completed for the Annual Report.
    * Paul - Will lead putting together the GNOME Annual Report.
    * Paul - Will reschedule the GNOME Foundation IRC meeting.
    * Paul/Germán - Automate the process of entering PayPal information
      into GnuCash. Taken over from Behdad.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the
      website up-to-date.
    * Srini - Follow up with potential sponsors for the co-located
      summit in 2011.
    * Srini - To update the GNOME Foundation private Wiki with new
      Intel dial-in information.
    * Stormy - To schedule a meeting with companies that do consulting
      work with GNOME to start discussions on how we can help (how can
      we work together). Sent email. Got a couple of positive
      responses. Will follow up with others and schedule a meeting.
    * Stormy - To follow up with the Advisory Board about acquiring a
      second machine. Email sent, but no response yet.
    * Stormy - Set up a Euro bank account.
    * Stormy - To follow up with LiMo.
    * Stormy - To finish following up with Orbitz to find out if the
      GNOME Foundation can pre-purchase travel tickets.
    * Stormy - Will discuss the opportunity to fund Mobile projects on
      the GNOME mobile mailing list to determine the best way to
      coordinate and make use of these resources.
    * Vincent - Update the blog and planet to highlight that people are
      expected to sign and follow the GNOME Code of Conduct. BLOCKED:
      Waiting for Jorge's action on Code of Conduct.
    * Vincent - Follow-up with Intel to determine what to do about
      copyright assignment for clutter. Waiting for an official update
      from Intel.
    * Vincent - Follow up with Michael Meeks and Bradley Kuhn to see if
      there is an interest in defining a policy the release team can
      follow to know whether a project with a copyright assignment
      requirement can be accepted or not. What sorts of copyright
      assignments are acceptable? ONGOING: Bradley is working on an
      updated draft. Pinged Bradley and Michael, got a substantial
      reply, but not the updated draft yet.
    * Vincent - Create a Philosophy page on the GNOME Wiki. BLOCKED:
      need the Speaker Guidelines first.
    * Vincent - Announce that the Speaker Guidelines are approved.
      ONGOING: need to rework the guidelines a bit following comments
      on foundation-list.
    * Vincent - Organize the interview team for sysadmin. ONGOING: we
      have three people in the team, we are improving the job
      description, and we will hopefully be able to announce the job
      next week.

New Action Items

    * Diego - Will touch base with the marketing list to determine the
      best name and process for managing this.
    * Germán - Will share the financial data that was provided to the
      advisory board to foundation-list.
    * Paul - Will send an Annual Report update by May 16th.
    * Paul - Will follow up with Germán about the financial data for
      the Annual Report.
    * Paul - Will talk to the sysadmin team about setting up a gobby
      server for the GNOME Foundation board to use for minute taking.
    * Rosanna - Will apply for the credit card.
    * Stormy - Will ping the GUADEC organizers to make sure that
      meeting rooms for the board and advisory board meetings are
      properly scheduled.
    * Vincent - Will talk to Juan Jesús Ojeda (Juanje) from Andalucia
      and ask them to blog about the project.
    * Everyone on the board - Needs to encourage appropriate people to
      consider running for the board.
    * Everyone on the board who plans to run for the next term - Needs
      to announce their candidacy.

Discussed on the mailing list

    * Preparation for the upcoming GNOME Foundation elections.
    * The domain was transferred to GNOME Foundation. Stormy
      finished the process through Network Solutions.
    * Planning for starting the interview process for hiring a system
    * Preparation for the GNOME Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, May
      11th. The topic was about GNOME Finances and included a review of
      the GNOME budget.
    * Cornelius Schumacher sent an email to the board proposing that
      the deadline for GCDS 2011 Call for Hosts be extended to June
    * The board is discussing Stormy's bonus for the time period
      October, 2009 through March, 2010.
    * Working with the bank to address the fact that someone tried to
      cash a fraudulent check against the GNOME Foundation. The old
      account is now on hold and a new account has been set up. Now
      working to ensure that the new account information is provided to
      those that need it.
    * Stormy proposed setting up a survey that will be sent to people
      after attending hackfests to better gather information about what
      happened at the events to help the travel committee make sure
      travel subsidy recipients are providing value.
    * The costs for the GSettings hackfest were over budget. $1,984.56
      instead of $1,400. This was due to the fact that lodging was more
      expensive than anticipated. The board approved paying the higher
    * Germán gave a very rough estimation of the travel sponsorships if
      the GNOME Foundation decides to sponsor all 56 people who
      requested full and partial sponsorship: $60,570. However, it does
      not include the costs of the invited speakers.
    * Jonh Wendell continued to research whether the GNOME Foundation
      could accept Brazilian Boletos. Unfortunately, there do not seem
      to be any banks that will allow Boletos to be connected to the
      U.S. GNOME Foundation account. This will likely not be possible
      for now. If a solution can be found (e.g. a service like ?PayPal
      can accept Boletos or setting up a not-for-profit in Brazil with
      a Brazilian bank account), then this will be looked into further.
    * Diego suggested asking Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier about getting the
      people who helped at the Texas Linux Fest GNOME booth to blog
      about their experience.
    * Planning for the AGM meeting at GUADEC 2010.
    * Stormy let the board know that she was on a panel at a CU law
      school/Silicon Flatirons event on April 29th about open source
      and patents.
    * Discussion about the draft GNOME Speaker Guidelines.
    * Rosanna got the information about how much it costs to reprint
      Friends of GNOME t-shirts. The cost breaks down as follows:
          o 12-24 shirts: $16.90 each
          o 25-48 shirts: $12.20 each
          o 49-72 shirts: $10.05 each
          o 73-144 shirts: $9.05 each
          o 145-288 shirts: $8.35 each
          o 289-500 shirts: $7.40 each
          o 501-1000 shirts: $6.70 each
          o XXL adds $1 each, XXXL adds $2 each
          o no cost for screens as it is a reorder

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]