Meeting Minutes Published - October 15, 2009

The meeting minutes for the October 15th board meeting is now public.
Refer here:

Other past board meetings are archived here:

-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of October 15th, 2009

Next Meeting

October 29, 2009


    * Diego Escalante
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Lucas Rocha
    * Srinivasa Ragavan
    * Stormy Peters


    * Vincent Untz


    * Behdad Esfahbod
    * Brian Cameron
    * Rosanna Yuen


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to the
      board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * System administrator hiring - waiting for funding.
    * Update website.

Old items

    * None

New items

    * GUADEC: Germán will get in contact with potential GUADEC 2010
      organizers to clarify their bid and invite them to speak to the
    * Marketing team & hackfest:
          o The GNOME Marketing team hackfest is planned for November
            10-11 in Chicago.
          o Lucas suggested that marketing should touch base with each
            GNOME project and collect information in one place.
          o Started a conversation about where is GNOME right now, how
            are we doing.
          o Also talked about what would be the vision for the Linux
                + GNOME is not a product. Not in the same sense than
          o How are we contributing to distributions in order to reach a
            wider audience?
          o To what degree should we encourage distributions to make the
            GNOME brand visible?
          o Is it more important to make end users aware of GNOME or
            more important to work with partners?
    * Code of Conduct & Blogs at GNOME
          o Currently we have a Code of Conduct, but not everybody who
            has a blog at and/or syndicated on our planet have
          o It is expected that everyone with a blog on and/or
            our planet follow the Code of Conduct. If they did, it would
            help avoid personal attacks.
          o It was proposed that we require that people with a blog on
   and/or our planet sign the Code of Conduct.
          o It was also suggested that perhaps it should be expect that
            people with a blog on and/or our planet become
            GNOME Foundation members.
    * Bugzilla data
          o Germán asked for feedback on finding a mechanism for
            providing our bugzilla data to be studied by researchers.

Action Items

Completed Actions

    * Lucas - Put together budget for Boston Summit.
    * Stormy - GNOME Foundation needs a CRM. Now on the system
      administration team TODO list.
    * Stormy - Contact advisory board members about raising fees.
      Waiting on a waterfall financial model (done) and a 2010 budget
      before sending this out. Done.
    * Stormy - Send the Texas Instruments Zoom 2 netbooks to the Boston
      Summit (perhaps to John Palmieri or Rosanna). Done.
    * Stormy & Zana - Have discussion on marketing list to determine how
      to best replace the U.S. event box. Done. (No feedback. Moving
      forward with what we used to have.)

Old Actions

    * Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
      public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
      but still pending.
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Still pending.
    * Brian - Since there was little interest on the foundation-list
      about getting international general liability and accident
      insurance, the board decided to not pursue getting such coverage
      at this time. Brian agreed to follow-up with the lawyers to find
      out what sort of text we should include in the travel subsidy
      agreement to ensure that people who receive subsidy understand
      that the Foundation is not providing coverage. An email was sent
      to the GNOME legal team on August 10th, and they have been pinged
      on September 6th, 17th, and October 15th.
    * Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier
      for more people to do some usability magic". Discussions on
      usability list just starting, and making progress with seeking
      nlnet grant. Ongoing.
    * Brian - Send email to the board list to schedule a special meeting
      for Stormy's review. Previously we were doing reviews quarterly,
      but moving forward these reviews will be done bi-annually.
    * Diego - Contact the sysadmin team about account creation. Talk
      with Bruno about who needs accounts. Diego has done a lot work
      contacting people about this, and is close to completing this
      task, but is still pending.
    * Diego - Keep track of FISOL invitation (Chiapas, Mexico), take
      over from Germán. In response, they have the space covered (I
      understand that with a recommendation from Federico). They are
      eager to work together next year to have more GNOME people. Diego
      will add this to his calendar and keep in touch with our contact
      (Freddy Arguello).
    * Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
      who become inactive. Still pending.
    * Germán - Take over John Palmieri's previous task to propose new
      obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be
      asked to do in return.
    * Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k
      in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to
      indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get
      the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing
      it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it.
    * Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
    * Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the
      benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website
    * Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
    * Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
      into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
    * Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
      with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Srini has the meeting
      logs, but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload
      and announce the meeting logs.
    * Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership.
      Very low priority. Will bring it up with Jonathan Corbet when they
      next meet.
    * Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
      with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
      materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
    * Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding
      upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in
    * Vincent - Will contact advisory board members to see if they will
      sponsor upcoming events. Some advisory board members have been
      contacted, but work still ongoing.
    * Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to
      the Mobile User Experience conference, perhaps Paul Cooper.
      Vincent mailed Paul and is waiting for an answer.
    * Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of
      Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services:

New Action Items

    * Germán - will get in contact with GUADEC organizers to clarify
      their bid.

Discussed on board-list

    * The Annual Reports for 2008 have arrived, so there was discussion
      about mailing them out.
    * Agreed to sponsor GNOME Brasil Latinoware event for $2,682.
    * Benjamin Otte proposed a GNOME video hackfest in November. Topics
      will include bridging X, Cairo and GStreamer and make them work
      together better. Seeking funding for 3750 Euros.
    * Helping to organize a WebKitGTK+ hackfest in November. They are
      seeking 5600 Euros.
    * The board has started to receive bids for the 2010 GUADEC, and is
      reviewing them.
    * Discussion about whether to co-locate with KDE in 2011. Agreed to
      first discuss with the advisory board, and with the larger GNOME
    * Libresoft, an organization who studies FLOSS projects, is
      interested in GNOME raw bugzilla data for doing studies. The board
      has been discussing making this available to them.
    * Discussion about better enumerating the duties associated with
      being an advisory board member.
    * Discussion about making sure that people who participate on have signed the GNOME Code of Conduct.
    * Planning for the Boston Summit.
    * Planning for the Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, October 13th.
    * Discussion about asking RMS for a response to those offended at
      his keynote at GCDS.
    * Planning to have a meeting to discuss Stormy's bi-annual review
      and bonus.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]