Meeting Minutes Published - October 1, 2009

The meeting minutes for the October 1st board meeting is now public.
Refer here:

Other past board meetings are archived here:

-- text of the latest minutes follows --

Minutes for Meeting of October 1st, 2009

Next Meeting

October 15, 2009


    * Brian Cameron
    * Germán Póo-Caamaño
    * Rosanna Yuen
    * Srinivasa Ragavan
    * Stormy Peters
    * Vincent Untz


    * Behdad Esfahbod
    * Diego Escalante
    * Lucas Rocha


    * None.


Recurring Items

    * Review past action items.
    * Did each person with action items send their status reports to the
      board list before the meeting?
    * Approve and make sure that minutes of last meeting were published
      to foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Make sure to start up the gobby server for better note taking.
    * Sysadmin hiring - waiting for funding.
    * Update website.

Old items

    * None

New items

    * Agreed that, moving forward, each person with action items will
      send status reports to the board list before the meeting.
    * Meeting minutes for last meeting were published to
      foundation-announce and foundation-list.
    * Canonical is sponsoring the Zeitgeist Hackfest for €2000
    * Still talking with possible sponsors for upcoming events.
    * Boston Summit. Much has already been decided on the mailing list.
    * GNOME.Asia - progressing smoothly. Website is up, and now actively
      seeking sponsors. Call for Participation is ready.
    * nlnet Grant - The GNOME Foundation is seeking a grant from nlnet
      to improve GNOME Usability and improve the HIG.
    * The October advisory board meeting will be about finances, and
      provide an opportunity to get wider review for the proposed
    * GNOME.Asia moving along well.

Action Items

Completed Actions

Old Actions

    * Behdad - Tasked with scrubbing the GnuCash file so it can be made
      public. Behdad sent a scrubbed GnuCash file to Rosanna to check,
      but still pending.
    * Brian - Get information about what should be in an "Employee
      Handbook". Still pending.
    * Brian - Since there was little interest on the foundation-list
      about getting international general liability and accident
      insurance, the board decided to not pursue getting such coverage
      at this time. Brian agreed to follow-up with the lawyers to find
      out what sort of text we should include in the travel subsidy
      agreement to ensure that people who receive subsidy understand
      that the Foundation is not providing coverage. An email was sent
      to the GNOME legal team on August 10th, and they have been pinged
      on September 6th and 17th.
    * Brian - Look into organizing a hackfest on "how to make it easier
      for more people to do some usability magic". Discussions on
      usability list just starting, and making progress with seeking
      nlnet grant.
    * Diego - Contact the sysadmin team about account creation. Talk
      with Bruno about who needs accounts. Diego has done a lot work
      contacting people about this, and is close to completing this
      task, but is still pending.
    * Diego - Keep track of FISOL invitation (Chiapas, Mexico), take
      over from Germán. In response, they have the space covered (I
      understand that with a recommendation from Federico). They are
      eager to work together next year to have more GNOME people. Diego
      will add this to his calendar and keep in touch with our contact
      (Freddy Arguello).
    * Germán - Put together a proposal for how to address board members
      who become inactive. Still pending.
    * Germán - Take over John Palmieri's previous task to propose new
      obligations that people who receive travel subsidies should be
      asked to do in return.
    * Lucas - Work with Andreas for the donation ruler. Try to put $15k
      in the ruler in "yellow" ($10k for Canonical, $5k for Google) to
      indicate that these funds are matching. Waiting for Paul to get
      the general marketing message behind the ruler before publishing
      it. Paul was pinged on September 17th about it.
    * Lucas - Put together budget for Boston Summit.
    * Lucas & Alberto - Set up a Euro bank account. Still in progress.
    * Paul - Will provide an overview of hiring a sysadmin and the
      benefits that has for the overall GNOME community.
    * Rosanna - Research the GNOME Guidestar website and update if
      necessary. Rosanna sent an update about the status of Guidestar,
      but work is still needed. Need to find someone to keep the website
    * Rosanna - to send check to pay 401K setup fees.
    * Srini - Ping John Palmieri for status about importing Paypal data
      into GnuCash. John Palmieri was pinged, but no response yet.
    * Stormy - GNOME Foundation needs a CRM. Dave Neary agreed to set up
      one, he just needs to be told which one. Stormy will research over
      the next week. UPDATE: The system administration team is now
      looking into this, but waiting on a requirements document from the
      marketing team.  Done. Stormy recommended CiviCRM and it is on
      system administration team TODO list.
    * Stormy - Should the GNOME Foundation buy a blanket LWN membership.
      Very low priority. Will bring it up with Jonathan Corbet when they
      next meet.
    * Stormy - Contact advisory board members about raising fees.
      Waiting on a waterfall financial model (done) and a 2010 budget
      before sending this out. Almost done - ready to go if everyone has
      given their feedback on the finances. Done.
    * Stormy - To propose a case study on how the improvements we made
      with bugzilla made a difference as input for the marketing
      materials for why the Foundation needs to hire a system
    * Stormy - Send the Texas Instruments Zoom 2 netbooks to the Boston
      Summit (perhaps to John Palmieri or Rosanna). John Palmieri will
      not be at the Boston Summit. Who is the best person to send to?
      Done. Sent to Jonathan Blandford who will take them to the Boston
    * Stormy - Create a more public process for suggesting and deciding
      upon topics for future advisory board meetings. Conversations in
    * Stormy & Zana - Have discussion on marketing list to determine how
      to best replace the U.S. event box. Done. (No feedback. Moving
      forward with what we used to have.)
    * Vincent - Will contact advisory board members to see if they will
      sponsor upcoming events. Some advisory board members have been
      contacted, but work still ongoing.
    * Vincent - Will look into who the GNOME Foundation should send to
      the Mobile User Experience conference, perhaps Paul Cooper.
      Vincent mailed Paul and is waiting for an answer.
    * Vincent & Lucas - Determine how to announce the endorsement of
      Franklin Street Statement on Freedom and Network Services:

New Action Items

    * Brian - Send email to the board list to schedule a special meeting
      for Stormy's review. Previously we were doing reviews quarterly,
      but moving forward these reviews will be done bi-annually.
    * Srini - Send out the GUADEC call-for-hosts, and the next meeting
      with be an IRC meeting to discuss Done. Sri has the meeting logs,
      but not yet published in the wiki. Yet to format and upload and
      announce the meeting logs.

Discussed on board-list

    * Final review of the proposed GNOME Foundation budget for next
      year. Plans to share it with the advisory board at the next
    * Shane Martin Coughlan is working with the GNOME Foundation to
      apply for a grant for GNOME usability projects, such as improving
      the HIG.
    * The GUADEC Planning IRC meeting went well, and information will be
      published soon.
    * At the Boston Summit, Colin Walters is handling Coffee and will
      also make sure the doors are unlocked in the morning. Jon McCann
      will be handling openings and closings and Adam Jackson will make
      sure the Beer Summit goes well.
    * The FSF is discussing doing a grant for the Women's Outreach
      program with us.
    * The board agreed to Stormy taking 4 days off to participate at an
      event in Sweden on her own time.
    * The Travel Policy is available online at:
    * Received a proposal for a WebKitGTK+ hackfest in A Coruña during
      November, and asked for a budget.
    * Received a proposal for funding GNOME events in Brasil from Izabel
      Cerqueira Valverde, and asked for a budget.
    * Discussion about asking RMS for an apology to those offended at
      his keynote at GCDS.
    * Discussing sending Bryen M Yunashko to either the Boston Summit or
      CSUN in relation to GNOME accessibility.
    * Negotiating moving the GNOME.Asia domain to a different server.
    * Starting to discuss possible co-location conferences in 2011.

[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]