Re: GNOME Board of Directors Foundation Elections Spring 2009 - Preliminary results

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Dave Neary<dneary gnome org> wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> Tobias Mueller wrote:
>>
>> These results can be challenged by sending an e-mail to
>> elections gnome org  The challenges have to be sent before Tuesday,
>> June 30, 2009, 23:59 UTC. Please note that these results should not
>> be considered final until any such challenges have been resolved.
>
> Challenge!
>
> You just announced the results based on first-past-the-post, when the
> elections were to be run using preferential voting, with single transferable
> vote and fractional surplus transfer.
>
> Srinivasa and Diego get elected in that system instead of Jorge.

Dear Foundation Members,
Dear Dave,

We have received your challenge and accepted it as an issue.

We have used the counting method "Random Transfer STV with
Droop-Static-Whole threshold" which might produce different results if
you change the order of the ballots. Although we ran the counting
several times to check whether it produces different results, we did
not see any: We have not changed the order of the ballots, or, to be
more precise, the voting software did not change the order and thus
the results were perfectly reproducible for all of us.

We do, however, accept the fact that if you counted manually, you
could gather a different result. This is the reason why we decided to
use the deterministic "Fractional Transfer STV".
Thus we will not declare the preliminary result announced on
2009-06-24 as valid. Instead, we will announce new preliminary results
using Fractional STV soon, if there are no further objections. These
results can then be challenged.

As you stated that you wanted to have that method used, we assume that
this resolves your challenge. Is that correct?

We'd like to thank you for the challenge.
At your service,

The GNOME Foundation Membership and Elections Committee