Re: Which Non-Latin Scripts Do Free Software Fonts Not Cover?

Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 à 23:59 +0100, Dave Crossland a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> I've just started the Masters degree in Typeface Design at the
> University of Reading (for which Gentium was a submitted project) and
> we're expected to do a non-latin script complement to our font, and
> I'd thought I'd ask around if anyone here has any opinions about the
> following:
>
> Are there non-latin scripts that free software fonts do not cover at
> all at the moment?

DejaVu tracks user requests in its bugzilla and in the sfd fonts
themselves so I don't think finding glyphs to work on would be hard.

Also DejaVu has a friendly & responsive team that can coach new type
designers. Unless you have the time and energy to bear the burden of a
major font project alone, I wouldn't advise contributing to a font
project that is not already organised to accept contributions from
external designers.

> Which non-latin script communities are adopting free software and
> would benefit from more fonts?

A common request is japanese in DejaVu. But that's a major piece of work
and I wouldn't start it without having native japanese contacts to QA
the result. (Red Hat also cited lack of FLOSS font support for indic as
one reason they bought liberation, and indic is another major piece of
work)

> Or is everyone very happy with Vera?

Distributions are abandoning Vera for DejaVu since Vera coverage haven't
evolved for years. But DejaVu is not perfect either — there's a lot of
glyphs to add, and a lot of glyphs to perfect.

You won't find a lot of work to do in the latin range though — what's
missing is complex scripts.

--
Nicolas Mailhot