bitstream vera fonts/licensing

Hello,

I tried the GNOME foundation list (I'd just assumed that since this is a
legal issue it was a correct place), but that did not work. So, maybe
since this is is a fonts list, this *is* a correct place to ask :)

I need to use the Gnome Vera fonts in the commercial environment. I've
contacted Bitstream, who said that for any licensing/copyright
questions I needed to talk to GNOME, since Bitstream just donated the
fonts and doesn't deal with licensing. They said the fonts were free as
far as they were concerned. I am trying to figure out what free really
means here.

The fonts are to be used with a proprietary rendering engine, which
means that I just need to know what the licensing for .ttf files is.
I've seen the following page: http://www.gnome.org/fonts/

Still, I don't fully understand: What license governs the use of the
Bitstream Vera font? (is copyright on the above-referenced page all
there is to it?) Is it the GPL-style license? (that I haven't seen on
the web page)

I apologize if I am spamming the wrong people with this, and would
appreciate a pointer in the right direction.

Maybe you can point me to the person responsible for this within the
foundation?

Thank you very much for any information you can provide!

denis
--
// mailto: Denis Perelyubskiy <lists at overwhelmTAKECAPITALSOUT dot net>
// icq   : 12359698