Re: Misplaced accents in small sizes of Bitstream Vera

On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 02:11 +0200, Stepan Roh wrote:

 Hi,

> Several people reported that TTF version of DejaVu fonts has misplaced
> accents in small sizes (10pt and below). It was reported that Bitstream
> Vera (of which DejaVu is derivative) has the same problem. It was also
> reported that the problem occurrs with both FreeType and Windows
> renderers.

Yes, this is IMO the most annoying problem with the Vera fonts.

> We (DejaVu developers) think that the problem is with TT hinting.

The problem is that composite characters aren't hinted at all in Vera.
You have the hinting of the base glyph and the hinting of the diacritic,
but there's nothing to glue them properly together.

-Michael