How to configure gtk to use fixed fonts?

I am real new to gtk and its workings adn would like
to know how to reconfigure gtk/fontconfig to use fixed
fonts.  I can't use XFT because of build issues, so I
am trying to create a fixed font set which needs to be
scalable... I am guessing its going to be fonts with
multiple sizes and styles. I appreciate your help. Thanks.