Re: Bitstream Vera fonts rpm

Le jeu 17/04/2003 à 19:13, Jim Gettys hp com a écrit :
> Nicholas, thanks for the great work.
>
> Some comments:
>    1) these fonts aren't just for X: they should go into /usr/share/fonts
> someplace, not in /usr/X11R6/.....

They are in fact installed in:
prefix          %{_datadir}/fonts/%{name}

The x11 definitions on the top of the file are only used to
register/index them using legacy X11 commands

>    2) let's try to coordinate this with the Debian folks so that we don't
> have two different places for the same fonts or other gratuitous
> differences between Linux systems.  Michael Fedrowitz I believe
> is packaging them for Debian.

No problem - I'll apply sensical debian packaging decisions as I hope
they'll apply mine.

>    3) History shows that there are bugs in fontconfig before 2.2 in
> the caching code, so sometimes a "fc-cache -f" is necessary for fonts
> to get detected properly.  Sigh...

is the -f necessary ? fc-cache is already executed at install/uninstall
time by the spec.

Note I didn't get this spec file of my hat like that, it's distantly
related to the adaptation I did for myself of the corefonts sourceforge
spec file (at the time I needed to adapt it to fontconfig) plus merges
from various redhat font specs, plus some changes we did to package java
fonts at jpackage project (www.jpackage.org).

So I'm pretty sure that the spec as it is written now should work on all
latest RH/Mdk system - the scripts have already been tested by lots of
people with other fonts (I removed some java fonts workarounds - I hope
these fonts do not need them).

I'll certainly plunder any script enhancements for my other font
packaging efforts:). My aim right now is to get some sort of official
spec file/set of rpms on the site that people can build on.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot