Re: How to load a (C)EDICT file?

Hi!

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:38 AM, Robert Siemer
<Robert Siemer-gnome org backsla sh> wrote:

> As I cannot find a “CEDICT file” source, I tried the “EDICT file”
> source. Fantasdic always returns “This is not a valid EDICT file!”

A line in a UTF-8 CEDICT file is like this:
word-traditional word-simplified [pinyin] /meanings/

But strictly speaking EDICT files should be like:
word [pinyin] /meanings/

So the people of CEDICT kind of extended the EDICT format to support
both Traditional and Simplified Chinese in the same file.

The proper way to use CEDICT in Fantasdic until now was to take either
the GB2312 or BIG5 version and convert it to UTF8 so that there's only
one entry (simplified or traditional) instead of two (simplified and
traditional).

I see on the CEDICT homepage that they no longer plan to update the
GB2312 and BIG5 versions so I've changed the EDICT source to work with
UTF-8 CEDICT files as well. This is now in the SVN repository. If you
don't want to upgrade to the development version, since dictionary
sources work like plugins, you can add the attached file to
$HOME/.fantasdic/sources/. I renamed it to "CEDICT file" so that it
doesn't conflict with your currently-installed "EDICT file" source but
this is basically the "EDICT file" source which is now in SVN.

> Other issues: it is a little annoying that "Add dictionary" always
> starts with "DICT dictionary server" and needs a Internet connection to
> allow me to change that setting!! (I fetches information from dict.org
> first, doesn’t it?)

Good point. I've changed the default source to "Dictd file", which
doesn't need an internet connection.

> fantasdic also starts up with:
> The following optional dependencies were not found.
> Ruby/GNOME2
>
> ...I know that it is optional, and I know I don’t have Ruby/Gnome2. What
> I don’t know is: WHAT is that good for, WHICH functionality is missing
> if running without!

Good point too. I've added a little information regarding the benefits
of optional dependencies.

Regarding Ruby/GNOME2, this library doesn't provide remarkable
benefits. I use it for better user documentation integration in the
application.

Mathieu