Re: duplicate detection - not working?

Hello,

> I believe the duplicate checking is based on the md5sum and not the
> image itself.  Part of that includes the filename as well.  I'm not
> 100% sure about that as I'm not very familiar with how that works.
>
> Ideally, it would be nice if it was done just on the image.

Absolutely.  Although I thought that was done.  But in any case, while
duplicate checking worked for a while, this was broken again by some
patch quite a while back.

http://www.svenutcke.de/sw/f-spot/cleanup/

gives a short account of what happened.  A solution is available as
part of my face detection suite at

http://www.svenutcke.de/sw/Face/

(which can be made to calculate a hash on the image content alone),
but unless you really are interested in face detection, this is rather
overkill for your problem, I would think...

Sven
--
  .xxxx.       FACE-Tools                                      |||||
 |(o)(o)|      http://www.svenutcke.de/sw/Face/              {. @ @ .}
  | __ |       Face detection and recognition                  \_U_/
   \__/        for photo-managers like F-Spot