Re: f-spot future

On 10/05/2012 02:08 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 21:07 -0700, Arun Persaud wrote:
[...]
As for a roadmap, I don't have anything concrete, but some of the
things that I'd like to do is update to gtk#3 which might be getting a
release (probably beta) in the next few weeks.  Also, shana has been
doing some great work on a binding tool.  Once that's finished I'm
hoping that we'll have regularly updated gnome libraries, including
the gstreamer-1.0 stuff.  If that's in I'd like to explore other
multimedia features.
Would this include the ability to handle movies in the same way as
photos are handled? This is the number one feature I'm missing in f-spot.
+1
+1

And the social-media uploaders need some love, but that is hardly a
make-or-break thing [at least for me].

Actually, for the social-media thing, I've been looking at the Facebook plugin for some time, but didn't have time to make progress on fixing it... The current version could be fixed if I had ownership of the FB App (so that I can change the required permissions), and that would require no code change. I've asked on the mailing list, but to no avail. So the solution I've been leaning towards is to create my own "F-Spot Export Plugin" app with the right permissions, but the plugin code is so old that the authentication method is not supported for newly created Apps... So that would require a major revamping of the plugin as well (making use of newer auth API). Maybe that would be the opportunity to use a Facebook/C# SDK, but that also requires investigation and I am lacking time for that, a bit, at the moment :(

I tried a few other programs recently and didn't find one that handles
tagging and searching as well as f-spot does, so I would really like to
keep using f-spot...
Agree.