Re: GSoC 2011: Synchronizing F-Spot data

Hello Simon,

> > > If you are looking for one on this list, you might want to
> > > clarify what the requirements for / expectations of a mentor
> > > are...

[...]

> Ugh, minutes after sending I found this:
> http://people.gnome.org/~federico/docs/summer-of-code-mentoring-howto/index.html

Ok, sounds as if you really need one of the F-Spot developers, so I am
definitely out.

> > Yes, and I looked at it briefly. It handles concurrent access too, but
> > that is only true for files that are actually synced by Unison. If
> > storing metadata as .xmp sidecars and then some other file format for
> > the tags, the import rolls, the versioning and so on, then Unison could
> > be a workable solution for all of the synchronization.

You could simply sync the database, couldn't you?  You would need to
write some conflict resolution code, but as sqlite3 can be translated
to text and back to db format, this ought to be fairly
straightforward...

> > I mainly see one issue with Unison: It requires the server and the
> > client to be running the same version of the program. I think a
> > natural step for a thing like this is to expand it to also include
> > a web service so people don't need to host their own servers. And
> > with Unison this might raise problems with versioning.

Yeah, that is a _mayor_ pain with unison.  Others work around this by
making there own unison executable part of the client...

Sven
--
  .xxxx.       FACE-Tools                                      |||||
 |(o)(o)|      http://www.svenutcke.de/sw/Face/              {. @ @ .}
  | __ |       Face detection and recognition                  \_U_/
   \__/        for photo-managers like F-Spot