md5_sum column - Developing command line tool for F-Spot

Hello!

I have a large (I think... about 23k) photo collection which I have
catalogued with F-Spot.

I am a Perl programmer, and haven't got into C#/Mono yet, but I had a
lot of reorganising jobs I wanted to do on my photos, so bit by bit I've
put together an object oriented Perl interface to the F-Spot database to
do many of the typical bulk find/rename/move actions which aren't yet
possible with F-Spot.

I hope you can work around the "but it's another language... why can't
you do it in C#!?" issue, and help me with one problem which I still
have to overcome.  Once I've got that down, I'll publish the source, and
maybe that will help give others with more C# skills the basis to
implement the functions in the application itself. :)

My problem: To search local files and identify whether they are in the
database yet, I want to create the md5 hash, and search the database for
this hash.  Problem is that the md5 hash I generate for a known image
doesn't come out the same as the one in the database.  I've heard that
it is just the image data which is used (without the meta data), but if
someone has some more specific information, that would be very helpful.

Best regards,
Robin Clarke