Re: Does F-Spot target RAW workflow too?

On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 23:19 +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AFAIR, this is my first post to the list, so I'd like to say hello.
>
> Among other things, the goals [1] say something like this:
>
> [1] http://f-spot.org/Goals
>
> "These and more advanced users are encouraged by F-Spot to grow their
> skills, to the point where they integrate more specialized photo
> manipulation software into their F-Spot workflow."
>
> May I ask for a bit of clarification of this sentence?
>
> Does it mean integrated (internally, tightly, directly) RAW workflow
> is not considered as one of F-Spot goals?
> Does it mean there is no place for RAW processing algorithms and tools
> in F-Spot, thus F-Spot will by design delegate such functionality to
> external tools?
>
> I have used digiKam for long time. I like its feature richness,
> though I suffer when I have to use user-unfriendly and bloated UI of
> digiKam. Thus, I rather "Open in UFRaw" from digiKam than hit digiKam's
> F4 to edit in the built-in tools.
>
> However, I like the idea of built-in RAW processors very much,
> especially if well integrated with photo organiser features.
> The integration point is quite important here.
> F-Spot looks like a great potential alternative to digiKam - clean,
> user-friendly and pleasant to use.
>
> Does it fit to the idea of F-Spot at all?

Yes, we want this, but admittedly, it's a hard target so it will take
some time. A nice and powerful integrated RAW workflow is a key part of
working with photos, so we should do it too. But it needs to be
absolutely smooth and clean, not the creepy unusable things RAW
processors usually turn into.

We also want to seamlessly integrate with the gimp, once it supports
non-destructive editing. That's the more specialized software in the
vision statement :-)