Re: F-Spot Vision Statement

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Ruben Vermeersch <ruben savanne be> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Last week at LGM the vision statement of F-Spot was redefined (spoiler:
> there won't be shocking surprises in there).
>
> You can find it on the website: http://f-spot.org/Goals
> And more info on how it came to be: http://weblog.savanne.be/199
>
> This vision statement will be used to decide what goes in and what not
> (as you'll notice, there's still a lot of opportunity for stuff within
> that vision). It's also open for debate, but it will have to be
> well-founded.
>
> Together we'll make F-Spot the best photo app available. Let's go!

A couple of questions.

>From the mission statement it appears the main target are consumers.

Will this bring a better, redesigned UI?
Why shun users that like to organize photos by folders? It is a simple
scenario so why not support it? There is already an option for that in
the current F-spot.

About the UI redesign (if it's coming): will the more advanced
scenarios be supported by plugins or will you simply "pipe" photos to
other programs or will there be a separate interface similar to iPhoto
vs Aperture, where the core will be shared but the interface would be
geared toward specific users (beginner vs professionals)?

Can we expect geo-location  and face recognition in the not too distant future?