Re: Why Shotwell?

On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 07:23 -0500, ceed wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 03:24:08 -0500, Ruben Vermeersch <ruben savanne be>
> wrote:
>
> >> I've been reading recently that Shotwell is going to be the new default
> >> photo management tool for Ubuntu (and maybe even in Gnome).
> > Whatever Ubuntu decides has nothing to do with GNOME.
>
> One blog post I read ( http://is.gd/dbgj1 ) put it that way, so I asked.
> Also, I actually think that what Canonical decides to do on it's default
> desktop ultimately will affect Gnome under certain circumstances.

Not really, it's the GNOME release team that calls the shots and it's
important to note that GNOME never had a default photo application or a
default music player. It's completely up to the distributions to decide
and we won't see GNOME picking one over the other soon.

>From the release team [1]:

> The long term plan for the GNOME applications that were removed from the
> Desktop, Admin and Dev Tools modulesets is to simply highlight the high-quality
> applications using the GNOME platform through our communication channels
> (release notes, website, etc). There will be no "official" apps anymore and no
> 'Applications' moduleset in the GNOME releases. The goal here is be more open
> with the app developer community around GNOME and to highlight all the nice
> things that can be created using our platform.

Ruben

[1]
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/devel-announce-list/2010-June/msg00000.html