Re: Why Shotwell?

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 15:57 -0500, ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading recently that Shotwell is going to be the new default
> photo management tool for Ubuntu (and maybe even in Gnome).

Whatever Ubuntu decides has nothing to do with GNOME.

>  I'm an avid
> F-Spot user but installed Shotwell just to check it out. I can not see any
> reason why this should replace F-Spot, and when I read about Shotwell as
> the "future if Linux photo management" there's never anything about why
> it's should be the future. What is it that F-Spot supposedly is missing
> making Shotwell a better option? I'm not an applications developer, so I
> if it's something under the hood justifying this change I would not see
> it. As for functionality I find F-Spot alone to be a reason for using
> Gnome over KDE. There's nothing like it one Linux as far as I can see. I'm
> also worrying that if this change happens F-Spot is going to be left by
> the wayside. Please do not make that happen.

But this really isn't the right list to discuss this. If you want to
talk about the default application selection in Ubuntu, you'll have to
talk to Ubuntu.

We're just making the application and making sure it rocks (we've got
great stuff coming). It's up to the distributions to choose what they
ship by default, but even then you're still free to use whatever you
want.

Look at Banshee: It's not the default, yet people install it in large
numbers themselves because it's so nice.